Dutch Bethel responds to NGO case

by Merlin 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Merlin
    Merlin

Hi All,

I wanted to share with you a response by Dutch Bethel on a letter sent by Dutch JW re: the NGO thing.

I've not been able to keep up with all the posts on this subject here, so I might end up saying this already said, but never mind that.

Thing is, Dutch Bethel confirmed the NGO status, justifying it by referring to Romans 13:1.

Quote from the letter (translated) : <i>"Jehovah's Witnesses view the organisation of the United Nations in the same way they view the other governments of this world ... Considering the UN as one of the 'superior authorities' is a help to understanding that it is possible to have certain contacts with this institution, similar to the Society having contact with ministries taking care of matters related to justice, education and the like"</i>

As for sharing the ideals of the UN charter, it was said : <i>"It is not that hard to only share ideals, while we of course pay tribute to the biblical view on the way in which they should be achieved"</i> (I couldn't help noticing the shocking similarity to the Society's letter to Hitler in this line of reasoning...)

According to the letter, the main reason is/was the exchange of information and helping <i>"helping officials to give a correct view of our organisation"</i>

Interestingly, the letter ended with the following words : <i>"As long as Jehovah will allow the present system of things to exist, we will continue to preach the good news of the Kingdom, making use of and appealing, in as far as possible according to the Scriptures, to certain services of the Superior Authorities to which also the UN belongs - Romans 13:4a"</i>

(Unfortunately, I do not have the original letter, only the transcription.)

(BTW : I used to be an H20 regular, posting as "Dutchy", and my registration with this board dates from the time this was still considered a loyal JW site, hence the screenname...)

Best Regards.

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

damn..we are good

• Seeker
    Seeker

Hi Dutchy, nice to see you again.

Thanks for posting that response. I'd love to see another letter from them now, a few days later, explaining why yesterday the WTS disassociated themselves from that "superior authority," the UN.

That old light/new light flicker is getting faster than ever these days.

• siegswife
    siegswife

I wonder why they chose to give up their NGO status yesterday if there is no problem with it?

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Oh,

They do not "share" the ideals.

They voluntarily agreed to SUPPORT and RESPECT the UN Charter.

Go ask a witness what would happen if they did it at the hall.

hawk

• Merlin
    Merlin

Hi Seeker,

It's my impression that Dutch Bethel spoke before it was its turn to speak. It would be interesting to see a revision of this letter (preferably within a week or so) indeed! Never seen "new light" in action 'life', interesting, although slightly disappointing experience.

No surprise, by the way, that the answer "completely satisfied" the writer.

best regards.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Dutchey,

Nice to hear from you again. I was over on H20 also posting as ozziepost and Aussie Joe.

I found your post VERY INTERESTING.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• Moxy
    Moxy

they may also be test-marketing the idea in a smaller audience first. large corporations do this sometimes and the WTS has been known to introduce new ideas in talks in small venues first before wide distribution.

mox

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

I agree...it says right on the UN's site that the NGOs agree to support the UN...not just share some ideas.

Either you is, or either you isn't. If they realized that they are making a mistake they should just say it and get out of the NGO.

Bottomline, the WT wants to use the help and resources of the UN without ever having to live up to its end of the bargain. To me that is false pretenses.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

NYT,

damn..we are good

That I agree with wholeheartedly, the WTS has cunning to burn.

Problem is:

That is why, since we have this ministry according to the mercy that was shown us, we do not give up; but we have renounced the underhanded things of which to be ashamed, not walking with cunning, neither adulterating the word of God. 2 Corinthians 4:1-2

Still, given the WTS reaction at having itself disaffiliated from its NGO status at the UN, one of the fastest theological back-tracks on record, scriptual principle has been upheld:

He catches the wise in their own cunning.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit