Elders and their wives/families

by sweet pea 6 Replies latest jw friends

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

I used to wonder just how did elders and wives cope with all that the Borg demanded from them (late meetings after the meetings, shepherding, attending/items at assemblies, ministry etc, etc)- did you guys ever feel resentful or sad that you weren't spending more time with your soul mate/family?

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

As I look back at that time, a time when I slaved for the society and had to spend less and less time with my family, I regret it. My wife took care of the boys as I was too busy with elder duties, duties that kept me from them more than with them. Do more was the motto. I was so burned out yet kept going at it, all kinds of assignments and meetings. Finally,when the body of elders that I served with went after one of the boys, I stepped down and now we are all out.

Blueblades, 33 years a watchtower slave.

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

My mom became more upset about all the time away from the family as the years went on. I used to sit at the back of the hall with the other families waiting for the elders to finish their 'emergency meetings' in the side hall. These became a regular thing.

I had a father who was in fact 'missing' most of the time because he was off helping some other family with their problems.

I know my sister did not like it, but we all just accepted it. Looking back, I was denied access to my father. He was either shepperding, field service, judicial comittee meetings or preparing for a talk to be given in another congregation. We would be dragged with to listen to the same talk, (that I heard so many times I could give it myself!) and had to smile and be the 'happy' family.

I was angry for a while when I realised what a waste it all is. Now I am just pissed off.

• zack
    zack

The most wasted time of my life was elder's meetings. Most of the time they were just boring. And more to the point, a total waste of time.

Did I mention they were a waste of time? I could have been fishing.

• Gordy
    Gordy

When I became a Ministerial Servant.

One of the Elders wives said to my wife "When he becomes and Elder-say goodbye to him. Because you will not see him much."

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

You reap what you sow, as a former elder my family suffered to the point of divorce and I truly believe when the Bible speaks of an older man, it should be a "older man", one who has no need of working to support a family, time on his hands to spend with the congregation but with balance.

I know of many elders and former elders who they and their families suffered because of the demands, reminds me of Jesus words at Matt 23;4

They bind up heavy loads and put them upon the shoulders of men, but they themselves are not willing to budge them with their finger

IT CAN'T BE DONE PROPERLY FROM THEIR PERSPECTIVE, A HAPPY FACE PLASTERED ON A MAG ISN'T TELLING THE TRUTH

abr

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

One elder's wife said to someone who wanted to be an elder that they get a book called "Say Goodbye to Your Wife" she wasn't kidding.

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit