If Children grow up in the Truth but never get Baptized, why no shunning?

by NotaNess 21 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Those who leave without ever getting baptised are the same as 'candy-stripers' are to RN's at the hospital. They leave after a while with no real attention - but once you join the workforce - the publishing company wants you to remain or be blackballed.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Oh - and I forgot to mention - that most Jw's are delusional, mentally fixated on fantasy rather than reality. Could this be part of the problem?

Jeff

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

NotaNess
    Post 111 of 111
    since 26-Feb-07

"So it's highly likely that JW parents that see a son or daughter as being more of a "Rebellious" nature, they would actually literally tell their child or young adult to "pass" on the baptism thing for now, for fear of having to end up really shunning them down the road."

I talk to him all the time(he knows how I really feel about the Truth) and have thanked him so meny times for talking me out of geting Baptized.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

I get the consensus that everyone just thinks you'll return. If you're not vocal in your hatred for the society it gets worse because they REALLY think you'll come back for some reason. Alot of times too they think you're just going to get all the rebelling out of your system then you'll return.

The "goats" would also include those husbands and wives who have believing marriage partners but who, in spite of the good example of their believing marriage mates, are found to be still unbelievers in the day and at the hour of the execution of God’s judgment against this enemy world; also, the children of a believing parent or the children of believing parents (fathers and mothers), which children were once "holy" as minors, as unresponsible children, but who have grown up to responsible years and have refused to become dedicated, baptized believers by the time that divine execution upon the "goats" begins.—1 Cor. 7:12-16.

That quote is basically the "you'll die at armageddon if you don't return", we all heard that when we left. It doesn't say anything about shunning though.

• stapler99
    stapler99

I think the answer is quite simple, it is just that a rule was never brought in to authourize such shunning. They are just using the rules that they apply to people in wider society, dividing people into unbaptized, baptized and disfellowshipped, each being treated differently. There isn't really a corresponding situation to children of Witness families who never were baptized.

• FreeFromWTBS
    FreeFromWTBS

When I was studying, the women I studied with was telling me about a couple in the hall that I knew. This couple had started attending the Hall, the wife was baptised but had left many years before, the husband had never studied. They had pre-marital sex. The girl was publically reproved and not allowed to answer questions at meetings. The wife then said to me that they couldn't do anything to the husband since he wasn't baptised. She seemed sad about that. Such a soap opera

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Excellent question!!!!ive never gotten a good answer from a dub...but like the song says,you cant talk to a psycho like a normal human being.....i myself was newly twelve when i got baptized.was forced into it...now many years later,that decision ruins my family relationships...but my sisters kids,who have beaten their wives,cheated on taxes,oui,and been generaly miserable curs,never got baptised.so they are welcomed w/open arms...stupid...just plain stupid....im glad that other ssee it that way tooo...thanks....

• zack
    zack

It cannot even properly be called a double standard because it doesn't possess the logic sufficient. What can be said about it, is that it is about control. Once you are a member, they

arrogate the right of control of your life. I never heard it put like Gary did, but he is right on the money.

• seek2find
    seek2find

Where the double standard really shows itself is in a social setting like a wedding or a death. The disfellowshipped is not allowed to eat a meal or even be present in some cases, but the actively sinning lifelong associating non baptized "witness" is welcomed and consoled with open arms. This is a situation that begs for an answer to the question. Where's the consistencey here??? seek2find

• Scully
    Scully

It all depends on who you are, and who your family is.

I know never baptized, raised JW people whose parents are considered pillars in the congregation, the father is the congregation PO. The kid lived common-law with a non-JW and got married and had kids. The raised JW but not baptized person is never shunned by any JW, because they know it would get back to the PO and heads would roll for Stumbling™ this unbaptized adult child of JWs.

On the other hand, I know other raised JW never baptized people who were shunned all the time by other JWs - even when they were guests in that person's home (guests of the JW parents). The JW father was not an Elder™ or Ministerial Servant™.

Officially there is to be no shunning, per the jw-media.org website. However, in practice, it's considered a Conscience Matter™.

Do you shun former members?

Those who become inactive in the congregation, perhaps even drifting away from association with fellow believers, are not shunned. In fact, special effort is made to reach out to them and rekindle their spiritual interest. If, however, someone unrepentantly practices serious sins, such as drunkenness, stealing or adultery, he will be disfellowshipped and such an individual is avoided by former fellow-worshipers. Every effort is made to help wrongdoers. But if they are unrepentant, the congregation needs to be protected from their influence. The Bible clearly states: 'Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.' (1 Corinthians 5:13) Those who formally say they do not want to be part of the organization any more are also avoided. What of a man who is disfellowshipped but whose wife and children are still Jehovah's Witnesses? The spiritual ties he had with his family change, but blood ties remain. The marriage relationship and normal family affections and dealings can continue. As for disfellowshipped relatives not living in the same household, Jehovah's Witnesses apply the Bible's counsel: "Quit mixing with them." (1 Corinthians 5:11) Disfellowshipped individuals may continue to attend religious services and, if they wish, they may receive spiritual counsel from the elders with a view to their being restored. They are always welcome to return to the faith if they reject the improper course of conduct for which they were disfellowshipped.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit