This forum using same type of thinking as Jehovahs Witnesses?

by AirDuster 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• juni
    juni

Welcome Airduster!

There is a lot of diversity here. We are no longer clones of an organization that dictates how we should feel, what we should do, with whom we associate, etcetera..... Some posters get more "animated" then others due to their circumstances while in the organization and their personality. One should remember that many here have been treated inhumanely and have "lost" their good name by an organization that claims to be identified by their love. Most all here have been thrown "under the bus" so to speak and left to "hang out and dry".

Looking back at your Topic history you have asked intelligent questions and have received many thought out responses. I hope they were beneficial for you as you contemplate leaving the JW organization.

As being a very active JW for 21 years, I know that one becomes very judgmental. It is how it was between the Jews and the Gentiles. People here do not want to be that sort of person anymore. It takes some time to get past the WTB&TS mindset of judging harshly usually w/no basis. But when something is wrong we no longer feel we have a "gag" order placed upon us.

I hope you stay with us......

Juni

• undercover
    undercover
    I notice one of the biggest complaints around here about the Organization is often related to their constant use of the "Us versus Them" mentality, (i.e. "We" need to be seperate from "them" because "they" are wrong and "we" are right). Yet I also notice that many of the posters here use the exact same kind of rhetoric and thinking. Many posters here use language so strong against the Organization that it almost seems like hate speech, yet many here also condemn the Society for speaking negatively of other religions and non-members.

I see your point and I agree...to a point. But on the flip side, "we" have not kept people captive to a concept (apologies to the writer of the book). We have not lied and decieved in order to keep people blindly following a publishing company masquerading as a religion. We have not caused the death of people because of our beliefs or ideals.

The WTS is wrong, no doubt about it. But most here would agree that we don't have everything right either. Most are willing to be open-minded and research new ideas and beliefs, something we were not allowed to do as a JW. I've noticed that people who have just learned the deception and are struggling to come to terms with their being involved in this controlling group, sometimes act out of anger and bitterness. But, in time that goes away and acceptance of the matter is realized.

If you need to vent, thats understandable, but we all need to remember that the purpose of this forum is to also give current JW's some intelligent food for thought. I think that talk about the evil, deceptive, bloodthirsty, murdurous, satanic, cult that is the Watchtower Organization would make many JW's just run away, thinking these people are nothing but a bunch of ignorant haters.

Actually the purpose of the forum is to discuss things relating to the JWs. It's not necessarily here to give current JWs insights into the ex-JW world. Most JWs won't come here. Any that do, most of them already have doubts or issues and all they need is a good nudge to do some individual research to learn the truth about the "truth".

But, I agree that name calling for the sake of name calling is counter productive. There's enough wrong with the religion and the WTS, that we don't need to resort to name calling or publicizing inaccurate things about them. If we can point out the real issues about the WTS in a calm, sensible way, it could help fence sitters give it some thought instead of quickly running away from the "evil apostates".

• Zico
    Zico

I agree with part of what you write. I think there is a Us vs Them attitude here against the WT, that's mainly against the Org as a whole rather than specific JW individuals though, which is different to JWs who would be against apostates individually. I really, really like a lot of JWs, and when I'm long gone from their religion, if I no longer see them, it will be because of their choice, in that sense I wouldn't say I'm against them, and I'm sure many on the forum feel the same.

I think they started that 'Us vs Them' attitude as well. If the Society didn't hate apostates, they wouldn't cause nearly as much hurt for people who want to leave, which has led so many to this forum.

• Nowman
    Nowman

Welcome Air Duster....

I think your post is somewhat self - righteous. We all remember why we come here, there are all sorts of different reasons. As long as all play by the easy "rules" of this forum, you can pretty much express what you want. If you do not want to read or post about certain things, then don't.

Nikki

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear AirDuster:

Sad to say, some individuals on this board still have
    the "group think" mentality that I recall when I was
    a Jehovah's Witness.

Only this time, it is in reverse.

I understand where you are coming from, however, try
    to set an example by using a little more tact because
    some individuals may have a justified cause for feel-
    ing the way they do.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This board actually encourages people to think on their own about religion. We are free to choose to join another church, drop out of religion, worship Satan, become agnostic, or even stay in the Watchtower Society according to what we choose as individuals. No one here is forced to accept anyone's beliefs. (That is where discussion happens. One person disagrees with another but still wishes to have a civil discussion about it. This is how truth is found, and how others may form viable opinions).

The Watchtower Society, on the other hand, forces its members to go along with their doctrines no matter what. Disagree, even on a civil level, and you get disfellowshipped for apostasy. And they make it difficult for anyone to leave. You miss a few meetings, and you get hounded. For sure not like these boards.

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

It is an interesting point, and certainly woth thinking about.

After the treatment I endured among the witnesses, I would never want to turn into those who mistreated me.

However, upon further consideration, the analogy just doesn't hold up.

I have not seen anyone say, that JWD is the ;one true' discussion forum and the only way to understand the JW's.

There is no 'company line' among JWD'ers, there is real variety and diversity of thought, I have seen comments ranging the spectrum from atheistic to born-again... Conservative to Liberal...

The forum admins have not identified their view and required that any who want to be a part of the One True Forum shun those who dare question.

The one thing everybody has in common here is that they have had some connection to the WTS, so the polarization is pretty understandable, there would be no JWD without it.

I am satisfied that I have not, and likely won't become the WTS any time soon.

Roller

• golf2
    golf2

It's that hangover effect.

Golf

• daystar
    daystar

I'm reminded of certain JWD posters who start a Topic and then try to dictate the "types" of people "allowed" to respond to it or the "types" of responses that are allowed.

If tough talk about the true experiences so many have had with the sect scares some people away, so be it.

• AirDuster
    AirDuster

I think everyone that's replied has a good point. Maybe my point wasn't as developed as it should've been. Or maybe my point was a little weak to begin with. I've been browsing these forums for a little over a year now, and I usually don't disagree with what most of you say about the Organization and the people that follow it. However, in my opinion there is at least a very fine line between fact-based debating and outright bashing. But I know not my place to tell anyone what to think or write or how to express themselves. It's just that sometimes I see stuff that fits into the stereotype of what the Society would call a 'typical apostate'. I personally don't want some Witness to look at what I write and think "Oh, its just your typical, demonized, poison-tounged, Truth-hating apostate". As far as they know by what the Society has told them, that's what most of you are anyway. I personally would want anything they could read to be above that stereotype. But then again it's noones job to write anything JW friendly, especially on a public anti-JW forum. All this is simply my opinion, and I would rightly guess that many of you wouldn't give a shit and a half if your speech conformed to the Society's stereotype of you, and I'm not saying thats a wrong thing. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Also, I still think the Society for the most part believes whole-heartedly what they are teaching. If not, why wouldn't they make it more mainstream to appeal to more people and make thus make larger profits? Anyone have any evidence that points to the contrary of my thoughts on this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit