Club Meeting, America the Beautiful and the Pledge of Allegiance.....

by AK - Jeff 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

All in one night.

Per some good advice a few weeks back from this board, I have attended my first 'Service Club' meeting of my life. Carmel had suggested to try Kiwanis International - and so I did.

The introduction began to break Jwism's from the get-go [precisely where I am at in my paradigm]. We sang the first verse of America the Beautiful [a first in my entire life], followed with the Pledge [the first time in my entire life], then a prayer [among the first non-jw prayers I have 'Amen'd' in my life].

I found the people to be sincere, interested in their community and their own involvement in the community, and fun to be with. I submitted an application, was invited next week, and upon my submission of dues [of course] I will likely be inducted officially in a few weeks.

I can't say I will be a 'lifer', but who knows. The club is an opportunity to break some jw molds, and to outreach in the community, to really be a part of it. I am excited. I will give it a year - see where it goes from there.

I think I need community - I have had a tough time finding a way to reintegrate after 40 years of Jw bullshit. But, at least for now, I am moving forward instead of stagnating. I hope in 5 years I will be known as AK Jeff, you know, the Kiwanis member? Instead of a former, disgrunted Jw.

Jeff

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Hello, Jeff:

It seems as if you had a positive first impression.
    I am glad to hear it and hopefully you keep me posted
    regarding this club.

Your friend,

Richard

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

America the beautiful is a pretty song - I also like to sing the national anthem. Don't know if I could say amen to a prayer, but I could be nice and quiet at least. Sounds like a smart thing to do - hope you keep us posted. Others may want to follow your lead, but feel timid.

• JeffT
    JeffT

First time out with real adults always makes an impression. The first time wife and I went to church (back in 1989) they had voter information in the lobby and the bloodmobile was going to be in the parking lot after the service. I think our minds blanked out after the announcements.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

I still think that the question of Christian neutrality in these situations is a valid one. Can Christians pledge allegiance to a country in good conscience? Doesn't a Christian's allegiance belong to God?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Don't Christians really give their allegiance to many things besides God anyway? Children, spouse, parents, traffic laws? Why is country excluded from the list that already includes >1 thing/person?

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Hey Jeff,

Glad you had such a positive experience!!! Let us know how it goes.

nj

• Princess
    Princess

When I read your thread title I immediately thought of the Kiwanis. The local chapter just gave our PTA $25,000 to build a new playground. We already had $7,000 saved and we got a grant that matches all our funds so with extra fundraising, we will be installing a $64,000 playground this summer. The school is 62% free and reduced lunch with 24 different languages spoken. It was going to take us 10 years to raise enough money to build a decent playground and then the Kiwanis came forward and gave us the money to do it now. We are so grateful to them for their generosity.

As co-Presidents of the PTA, my friend and I went to their last meeting to update them on our progress. It started exactly the same way as you said.

Good people.

• DJK
    DJK

I think you will like that very much. I had joined an Elks club for a few years and I became an officer, I held the Chaplin's chair and the Esquires chair before I had to give it up for a new employment position. Too many work hours took me away from that and I miss it.

• NotaNess
    NotaNess

Rebel8 - Good reply.

The allegiance is meant, so as not to be the opposite of what it stands for, and that's AGAINST, this country as an enemy, to do it or it's people any harm. It has never meant, "I hold this Country Higher than God". Like an inner promise, and the biggest part I remember growing up with the allegiance in school, was the term "one nation under God". That meant something to me.

Things like this (the JW way of thinking) is what really makes logical people, NOT join a group like the witnesses. JW's think of it as something entirely different than what it is.

Congrats Jeff, this is where real life begins.

....Amen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit