A Legal org to represent former JW issues?

by Pathofthorns 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Several issues, such as the UN matter and others requiring comments to the press could possibly be better served if there were a small body of qualified individuals, including lawyers and other professionals and others that were former witnesses extremely well versed in JW issues.

Comments to media, governments and various organizations on matters such as blood, child custody, child abuse etc would carry more weight coming from an "offical" organization.

In the former JW community there are many with good intentions but often find themselves making inaccurate or unrestrained, poorly worded or overly sensational comments.

These sorts of comments set the former Witness community back and sometimes give credence to the labels placed upon us. On the other hand, well worded, accurate statements made with a knowlege of how the WT PR machine works can effectively tie their hands and force the WT to make changes.

With this in mind, what is the viability of such an association to represent former Witnesses? It need not matter whether one is a Christian or Athiest or whatever, as the purpose would simply be to comment and investigate and expose WT policy.

I am sure this has been tossed around before. Does anyone have any comments on this?

Path

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Why does it have to be a legal organization?

I can see the same talk back in 1879...

We can make a legal organization purporting nothing but simple bible truth :-)

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

A legal organization carries more weight than thousands of scattered individuals. Who will the media go to for a statement? Who can give press releases to the media for a better chance of articles to be published?

There is also a big difference in an organization formed to interpret something which cannot be interpretted conclusively such as the Bible and something which exposes facts by means of individuals with a sound knowledge of the workings of the Society.

None the less, the point of your comment is well taken and I can appreciate the need that such an Association would have to be undertaken very cautiously, if at all.

Path

• Prisca
    Prisca

Path,

I'm glad you are still hanging around here. You are one of the most balanced people here, and yet again, you come up with another great idea.

There does seem to be the need for an organised "group", for lack of a better word, to deal with the media as well as legal issues. As you said, sensationalism and innacurate reports do no good to those of us who have left, who are trying to help family and friends also see the truth about the "Truth".

Let's hope this goes beyond being an idea, and become a reality!

• blondie
    blondie

You're talking about organizing people who purposely left an "organization" for various and diverse reasons?

• Moxy
    Moxy

i dont know how organized such a group would be. i certainly wouldnt wanna be in charge of trying to organize this rowdy rabble.

however, a good first step would be for individuals who would be willing to be media contacts and have some expertise (financial, medical, legal, social, etc) to identify themselves and state their area of expertise. kind of like our own allexperts.com group.

mox

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Path: AJWRB already has recognized visibility on the blood issue and various media. And it seems that SilentLambs has the media attention on the molestation issues. Although I have not seen this happen yet, BRCI might be a path for the media to seek ex-JW comments.

None of these 'organizations' have any control over ex-JWs, but they are well versed enough in various issues to make comments to the media. - Amazing

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I am not talking about organizing people or anything that would cause people to lose their diversity of belief and the path they choose upon leaving the WT.

There is however a common past among those who are members here and there remains a common goal, generally speaking.

-People would like the complete and honest facts made available to Witnesses so they can make informed choices.

-People would like to see the WT a less harmful place for family and friends that remain inside.

-People would like to see those who leave get adequate and sound advice on how to recover.

-People would like to see the WT eventually gone or at the very least lose its power over people.

Basically all I am putting forth, as has probably already been considered in the past, is an Association that respects the diversity of former Witnesses, but advances the above interests in a more effective way.

Path

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

Path,
    Your post makes some valid points. When I first read it, my first thought was that they (WTBTS & R&F) would see this an organized effort from the so-called "evil slave" further feeding their collective psychotic paranoia. But then I remember that even to question them publicly, or to be uninterested in their message at the door, is tantamount to persecution to them. So, I think it would be a good idea to collect expertise, if nothing else, and make organized, professional efforts when speaking to the media/gov't regarding them. My goal is to just force them to be honest with their adherants as well as the public and especially the government they purport is Satan's organization. Maybe even be forced to make apologies if not reparations for the millions of lives they've inflicted suffering on. If they can't survive this, and go under it's no big deal to me. But I've no particular agenda to "bring them down".
    So, how do we proceed from here? How does one form an official "watchdog group"?
    Love,
    Bridgette
    p.s. In checking my spelling of "paranoia" I read the definition which is: A psychotic disorder marked by delusions of persecution or of grandeur, often strenuously rationalized.
    Hmmmmm....sound familiar? LOL!

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

The WTBS already infers that 'apostates' are organized and act as a group, which is not really the case.

As the organization crumbles and re-invents itself into something different, it is important that these changes are identified and given the widest possible coverage and explained in ways that will help the R&F understand what is going on and what these changes mean to them.

This site is effective in reaching many people and in encouraging debates about certain issues and different perspectives and ideas. Unfortunately, there is no diffinitive means that represents the former JW perspective to the media in an effective and accurate way.

If the media seeks a comment that carries any sort of weight in addition to what the WT Public Affairs tells them, they would be hard pressed to find such a comment that carries credibility. Comments are always from "disgruntled former members".

Path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit