Albums, Tapes, or Videos You Had to Throw Away?

by WTWizard 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I had to throw away my favorite album, Eldorado by ELO because it had backwards masking on it.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

How about my friend who had some CD that would just play by itself and make the CD door open and shut by itself? I can't remember the group, unfortunately, but boy was she scared of that!!!

• undercover
    undercover

This was back in the 70s when I was a teenager:

I got rid of Led Zeppelin because of the backward masking paranoia.

I also got rid of the Eagles' Hotel California album because there was a rumor that on the inside, the photo of the band in the hotel lobby with a bunch of other people, the charater on the balcony overlooking the group was the Satanic leader of California or some such nonsense. And then the song had the line about "that spirit's been here since '69" or something like that. JWs, being quite literal thinking, thought that meant a spirit as in a demon. So out that album had to go. Funny though, I kept On the Border and their first Greatest Hits album.

At the same time, I parted ways with Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album. It was reported that Stevie Nicks was a witch and on the cover was her and Mick Fleetwood with a crystal ball.

I had the Kiss Alive! album (their best album IMO). I threw that away. KISS stands for Knights in Satan's Service, ya know.

I also got rid of a couple of Rush albums. Rush stands for Raised Under Satan's House, in case you were wondering.

At the same time that Zep, the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac were being demonized by the dubs, they were in a dither about the Beatles and Stones as well. But for some reason, I couldn't bring myself to ridding myself of any of my beloved Beatles albums. I did get rid of one Stones album, Her Satanic Majesty Requests, for obvious reasons, but I kept Exile on Main Street and a couple of earlier albums.

I threw a few other albums out that I can't even remember the group or album name anymore. They were albums that I didn't listen to that much, so I didn't really miss them that much. All the ones that I mentioned above I eventually replaced. I replaced them before I left the JWs even. I figured out later that the whole music thing was silly and being an adult now, I can decide what I want to listen to, so I replaced several of my favorites ones of the bunch. And then I got the CD versions when they were released. So it backfired on the WTS in that I have now paid royalties to these "demonized" musicians three times now.

• BrentR
    BrentR

My mom pitched out my KISS and AC/DC albums. But later on I bought some used Beach Boys albums that I used the covers to hide my new KISS and AC/DC albums. So when my mom went through my collection she never found them.

Never mind that most of her favorite artists were also drug users, drunks and "immoral".

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

That's what I used to fire back, because you know "country" music and "pop" were always "ok". But get off that path and listen to something with a good beat or a hypnotic groove or a great guitar riff, and suddenly its DEMONIC!!!! Oh the horror!!! I listened to AC/DC and Zeppelin and Sabbath all through high school, then dove deep into blues after college, and Muddy Waters is probably worse than most of the Zeppelin stuff!!! Though if you played them both for JW's they would tell you that Zeppelin was "bad". Meanwhile Muddy is singing about screwing anything that moves, and drinking liquor, smoking reefer, etc.

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I grew up on classical music really, until I became a teen. Although I liked a lot of peices by different composers, I wouldn't exactly have call it my bag. When I bought my first, what you might call, somewhat modern album, it was the Beatles" White album". Nothing wrong with that I thought. It was the 1980's anyways so my parents should be cool with that cuz it was from their day really. My father seemed very disappointed in me but he let it go. I knew from then on there would be a problem.

When we had our little witness cheesie and soda pop parties, I decided I was going to get the most popular album on earth. The Thriller album! There are two reasons I thought that would not be rocking the boat. It was popular, and loved by everyone and also he was a Jehovah's Witness. Well I brought the album to our little cheesie party and my mother announced in front of all my freinds that the album was possessed and she took my album that I paid for and snapped it in two. Thus breaking the great demonic spell and casting out satan and his minions. It would have been nice to be reimbursed for that.

As a result I have always been 20 years behind in the music. I always hear things that people were into ages ago. Does anyone remember the ridiculous Awake magazine with the title "Disco Is it for you"? I can remember even as a kid how stupid I thought that magazine was. These old geriatric codgers think that we should all be listening to kingdom melodies.

To make that point which I beleive to be a fact, when we were teens we went to a young sisters house for a cheesie party. It was her first party that she organized and was hoping everything would roll smoothly. No word of a lie, her father came downstairs where we all were, told us to turn up the lights and insisted we play kingdom melodies instead. The poor girl ran upstairs and cried her eyes out. We were all aghast and in disbeleif. We were all good kids and that wasn't called for in light of the harsh way we were raised. The governing body ,that tries to direct even the tastes of others, has absolutly no concern for the younger generation. They are dicataors, that with endless nitpicking ,ruin lives because they have zero empathy for others feelings, tastes in clothes, music or anything else. I just can't beleive parents not only fall for it, they enforce it. I can remember others in the cong. who were my age who had to get together and destroy all there albums. Lover boy, Ac Dc, supertramp you name it. It doesn't sound beleivable, but these were all the little things that added up to break our spirits and conform to the sick mentality of the borg. It also doesn't help the self esteem of young people or aid in the development of tastes, personality or the feeling of fitting in socially. Every worst night mare you can think of for a teenager comes through in this cult.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

"I'm working on replacing all the stuff I threw out. King Crimson. I miss my King Crimson because it's hard to find. I can't find the Who's "live at leed's" Woodstock, I need to replace that one. Lot's of Pink Floyd. " - jeffT

Jeff, I'm a bit of a vinyl head and troll the second hand shops frequently. Live at Leeds appears quite often down here. I could pick it up for you if you like. King Crimsons stuff is a bit rarer and I haven't seen Woodstocks double LP for years. Pink Floyds back catalogue ticks over though.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

KISS stands for Knights in Satan's Service, ya know.

Rush stands for Raised Under Satan's House, in case you were wondering.

Also, don't forget AC/DC = Anti Christ/Devil's Children

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• JeffT
    JeffT

Bigmouth, thanks for the offer, I'll find it all eventually. My son found King Crimson's first album the other day.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They made me relegate a lot of "bad" songs to inactive status. I cleaned (?) up some tapes, and I ended up losing about a third of the albums I had for some borderline-suggestive content. Robbie Dupree's songs Steal Away and Hot Rod Hearts are among them. There are many others like this. They were insistent on cleaning out all the music in my collection and replacing it with Kingdumb S***.

Now, I gained virtually all of it back. I had one Led Zeppelin album (Houses of the Holy); now I have the whole box set on CD. And I got heavy metal and rap CDs that I didn't like before just because they were bad. I got Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, KISS, AC/DC, Van Halen, and Metallica just because the Witlesses thought they were bad. That's how I started listening to (and liking) rap where every other word is a swear word or that glorifies using drugs. I even gained back the single Do They Know It's Christmas by Band-Aid: if anything, about 5 seconds longer than the version they made me throw away.

Why, the *$ers had the nerve to make me get rid of my We Are the World! That is almost impossible to get nowadays (I had the 12" single that runs 7:23; the LP version only runs 7:02). I had to use LimeWire to get the full length version of this elusive song back. And now that I have it, this time I'm keeping it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit