"Roads Caller?"

by watson 12 Replies latest jw friends

• watson
    watson

The speaker that gave our public talk today said that the men on the Governing Body were very smart. He said that Albert Schroeder could speak Corny Greek, and that Frederick Franz was a "roads caller." I know what Corny Greek is, but I am not familiar with what a "roads caller" is. Is this an old term for a pioneer?

Please help!

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I think maybe what he was saying was "Rhodes Scholar".

There is a definition here http://www.answers.com/topic/rhodes-scholarship

BB

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

My understanding is that Fred Franz took a test that he passed, thus qualifying him to apply for a Rhodes Scholarship. But the process never went further than that, and he was never offered anything. I don't have good references for that, but here's a web site talking about it: http://home.earthlink.net/~defender/de01006.htm

Without scans or something more substantial that typed words, it's hard to say what's what. That's the best I've got at the moment.

Dave

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sure that wasn't "rogue scholar"?

• Odrade
    Odrade

Yep, Rhodes Scholar. Although, didn't someone reveal that he was only a Rhodes Scholar candidate? You actually have to follow through to be a R.S.. I was a National Merit/Presidential Merit Scholarship candidate, but due to zero follow-through (after all, Armageddon was coming, why waste time on scholarships and education?) never was an actual NM Scholar. Huge difference. In fact, I don't know if there is even a possibility I would have/could have won. Ol' Freddy had someone recommend him. But afaik, never was awarded the actual recognition. But in Dub-propaganda, it's all the same. "Fred Franz was a RHODES SCHOLAR, that means we know he's right because he was SMART!" hehe.
    edit: damn. I'm slow. AA beat me to it.

• watson
    watson

Yeah, I was just having a little fun....

The talk today was one of those "positive reinforcement" talks. Man, he had the audience nodding in agreement so much I was reminded of Wayne and Garth rocking out to Rhapsody!

It got us ready for some "obedience training" from the Watchtower.

It was great!!

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Did he use the illustration of the little wobbler bird that only weighs ounces and travells so far to migrate? I hope that stupid bird goes extinct due to ink poisoning from all the WT's and Awakes flushed into the ocean.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think he met hog caller. When people feed the pigs they go "souie, souie". He did that very well, they say. And he gave up a life on the farm to venture to Brooklyn.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I read a letter once, from The Rhodes Foundation, and it made it very clear that Freddie was never a Rhodes Scolar.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Yup, them guberning body guys is real smart. In the hick town where i basically learned about the wt when i was younger, stuff like that was common.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit