YOUR TYPE OF INTELLIGENCE..............

by fifi40 14 Replies latest jw friends

• fifi40
    fifi40

Howard Gardner, a professor of education at Harvard University, is renowned for laying out the theory of multiple intelligences (MI), which argues that the customary views of intelligence are too narrow. Whilst traditional IQ tests measure verbal and mathematical skills, MI theory maintains that humans have multiple intelligences.

Included in these are spatial, musical, bodily-kinesthetic (movement), interpersonal skills, intrapersonal and naturalist (understanding and classifying objects in nature). So whilst some may not be to 'hot' on mathematics they may be great musicians or wonderful at understanding human beings.

A kid who struggles with conventional school work and ends up with poor grades may go on to be very successful in the 'real world' which requires and values a huge range of talents.

So where do you think your strength is intellectually speaking?

• Adolfius
    Adolfius

Well I'm crap at maths and English, so I hope I'm a genius at some other area of the MI

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I really like development of such theories. We've measured intelligence so one dimensionally for too long. And this also renders more inclusivity to those up to now considered disabled rather than different.

My intelligence: I dont know I have anything special really - just an ability to unwittingly alienate people. I dont think there is an X Man character for that....

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I've never encountered anything I could not do from a mechanical, electronic, or computer point of view. Even starting with no experience, it only takes me minutes to get up to speed. The Mil was very astonished at my ASVAB score and had me take it again to make sure it wasnt a fluke. Of course being a dub at the time I staunchly resisted their attempt to recruit me.

I am not very intelligent at reading people.

• bluebell
    bluebell

I'm not really very intelligent - took me ages to get out the "troof", but then didn't most of us, so I don't feel too bad about that. I've yet to discover my talent. I don't have enough commitment to see things through to be able to discover it in the first place!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    A kid who struggles with conventional school work and ends up with poor grades may go on to be very successful in the 'real world' which requires and values a huge range of talents.

Ain't that the truth. There's a lot of people I grew up who I creamed on the standardized tests that they measured us by when we were in school. They got the last laugh though, I'm really not very successful, financially or otherwise. I even joined a goofy religious cult. LOL

I have mixed feelings about this multiple intelligences research though, because it makes me wonder, will this lead to every more elaborate testing systems to measure our kids by? I think we do a helluva disservice to kids the way we measure them to death, and it's only getting worse.

• dh
    dh

black belt in bed-fu

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Fifi40:

First, I would like to commend you on your post and your question.
    Second, about the question of intelligence my teachers, professors
    and others who know me have described me, as Robert Sternberg
    would classify as creative intelligence.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Isnt that just a clever way of saying different people are good at different things?

In school we are supposed to teach in all different styles to account for all the different learning types, we are supposed to assess kids and help them find out what their learning style is to help them become motivated learners.

Without sounding too cynical, by and large I find that most kids use it as an excuse not to engage at all because they just tell us they dont learn that way. We have to plan Visual Auditory and Kinastetic into all lessons. And the general feedback is "this is boring".

However, I do believe with the right kids understanding how you learn could be a good thing. I just havent come across the right kids yet!

• Jehoober
    Jehoober

It seems to me people get "talents" mixed up with "intelligence."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit