Why No Education for Jehovah's Witnesses

by WTWizard 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are actually two reasons for this. The first is that education takes time away from the ministry. If they take time to go to college, that is time that can't be used to go in the ministry, and "lives are at stake". This is the excuse that they use the most.

The other is that they are pulling a scam. Anyone who is good at physics, biology, or astronomy will realize that many of the explanations pulled off by the Watchtower Society are impossible. For instance, the Flood water was supposed to have pushed down the basins, allowing the water to drain. But, in doing so, the water would have to push up heavier rock. This is like a thin child pushing up a fat one on a seesaw where they are the same distance from the fulcrum at the center: it isn't going to work.

Other science problems include the age of the earth. The Tower claims that man is merely 6,000 years old. It took only 6 days before that to make the earth, with each "day" running 7,000 years. This makes the earth only 48,000 years as of 1975 (today, the earth is 48,032 years old). And they bash carbon dating, saying it's off by whole orders of magnitude with no backing evidence whatsoever. Any seventh grade science student would know that radioactive matter breaks down at a reasonably constant rate, and this can be used to date something to within a few percentage points accuracy.

Then there is the demon issue. Many of those noises that they use the demons to explain away are actually from thermal expansion. If you are in a house in a quiet area, and it gets cold out on a clear night, the house is going to thermally contract. The interior will cool slower than the exterior, and this difference can make for some creaking noises. If there is heat running, the difference is even more pronounced. This happens most during fall months in arid regions where the temperature can be 80 during the day only to freeze at night. The creaking is not dangerous, but it can scare people that are not aware of the cause. And the Tower is eager to blame the demons. I have even seen a thread on this forum where Tupperware is said to bubble and pop open on its own after being taken from the refrigerator. Thermal expansion of the air inside is the reason, not the demons.

Aging is another thing that the Tower "Adam"'s away. Why do we get old? Not because of Adam's sin. It happens because of the telomeres at the ends of the chromosomes getting too short, preventing the cells from dividing. We are just beginning to understand that. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find it in high school biology text books soon, if it isn't already in some of them. Other causative and supportive factors will also be found, undermining the dented-loafpan theory.

No wonder the Tower wants people to stay away from college! They want children to be tired and sleepy during classes, especially Friday, so astute observers won't find these discrepencies in high school. This is probably why they want the children to spend evenings at the meetings, and the afternoons out in service, instead of getting homework assignments done. Too bad for them I was one of those who did well in high school science, and thus I can expose their secrets to any who might be inclined to look for the real truth.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The end result of a good education is gaining the ability to think critically. Critical thinking is the worst enemy of the watchtower.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

They say the environment is bad for young people- partying and independent thinking. Wild sex and
    supporters of abortion rights. People searching for solutions in this system of things, and encouragement
    to seek worldly careers.

Good points, WTWizard. Also, many degrees require at least one class of debate or word religons or
    something similar. Many of these classes would teach independent thought and the ability to question
    things- not accept them at face value. Debate might ask students to take the opposite side of their own
    beliefs and defend it; examples are abortion or death penalty. These teach young people to examine
    their own convictions. Bad for WT.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That is the other excuse they use. Bad associations, getting a nice job that will have you missing meetings, and being a part of the world are among the excuses the Tower will use. I think they actually do have a bearing, since you cannot be brainwashed if you miss all the meetings and never go out in service. And the science will have a better chance of working if you blow off the meetings in favor of going to class.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They do not want to see the creation of an elite intellectual class in the org because with their sharpened critical percepion they will be easily able to see the deceptions perpetrated by the FDS. They fear antagonism in other words their deception works best with poorly educated people unable to think for themselves and question authority.

• theMadChristian
    theMadChristian

WT'Wizard' , sounds like you need a date!

alt

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Excellent points, all. Also, what if that kid went to college to study ancient near east history? He'll run smack into 587 v 607. That's not going to play out when he tries to uphold 607 based on shoddy understanding of prophecy.

Recently I heard a talk (which didn't seem to know what it was meant to prove) where a mysterious group of scientists were blamed for all the bad things that happen. It sounded like there was a wicked cabal of intellectuals, just waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting mankind! Oh, the horror!

• Handsome Dan
    Handsome Dan

Ignorance is power for the WTS., the more slaves the master can gain, the bigger and better his kingdom will be, so it's better to seek more slaves for the master

remember he's standing at top of his tower watching you, now are you bringing him more power ?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    ...education takes time away from the ministry. If they take time to go to college, that is time that can't be used to go in the ministry, and "lives are at stake".

And WHY are lives at stake? Because ARMAGEDDON, which was so very close in 1975, is even closer now!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

• Sasha
    Sasha

Don't get me started. I was going to college in 1969, but they told me the world was ending. Now when I used to go to assemblys they said NO COLLEGE...SERVICE, SERVICE. Which I always thought was surprizing. I mean, don't they need Doctors, etc. people with education? I don't understand it. Ruined my life. Well, I take full responsibility for my life, should not have believed it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit