Watchtower spin on press conferences

by NanaR 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• NanaR
    NanaR

Someone on another thread mentioned the "Watchtower spin" on the settlements. Has a Watchtower statement been posted, or a link to one?

Ruth

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi Nana, there was a statement from the watchtower in the news report

The Jehovah's Witnesses, whose headquarters are in Brooklyn, N.Y., said Thursday that they were pleased to see the lawsuits resolved, declining further comment.

"Our loving heavenly Father makes it clear in his Word, the Bible, that he abhors child abuse," a statement from the denomination said.

"As an organization, we will continually strive to educate families and congregations with sound Scriptural teachings that they can use to protect their children from child molesters. And we will continue to do our utmost to protect children from this horrible crime and sin."

Full report here

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/05/10/ap3709733.html

• NanaR
    NanaR

Thanks Trevor!

• Grammy
    Grammy

That statement is such a load of BS...makes me want to barf!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The Jehovah's Witnesses, whose headquarters are in Brooklyn, N.Y., said Thursday that they were pleased to see the lawsuits resolved, declining further comment.

"Our loving heavenly Father makes it clear in his Word, the Bible, that he abhors child abuse," a statement from the denomination said.

"As an organization, we will continually strive to educate families and congregations with sound Scriptural teachings that they can use to protect their children from child molesters. And we will continue to do our utmost to protect children from this horrible crime and sin."

To be fair, no corporation would admit more. But these highlighted portions are just straw men.
    "We will educate the families so that they are responsible for their own children's safety. If a molester is a member
    of the congregation, the parents were educated and should know better than to trust somebody that we said should
    be totally trusted. We will do our utmost (as a corporation) to protect children from this horrible crime, by saying we
    educated the parents. While we will continue to protect the organization first, the victims will now be second instead of
    third behind the elders. Elders are now third in protection instead of second."

• lrkr
    lrkr

This reply tries to draw attention to the society as "just an educational" group. Like- "Yes we paid but all we do is try to educate people not to do bad things"

• bluebell
    bluebell

what a load of corporate bull

• VM44
    VM44

Yes, It is very clear how the Bible abhors child abuse.

"Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones." (Psalms 137:9, KJV)

"How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones Against the rock." (Psalms 137:9, New American Bible)

"Happy the man who shall seize and smash your little ones against the rock!" (Psalms 137:9, New American Bible)

"a blessing on anyone who seizes your babies and shatters them against a rock!" (Psalms 137:9, Jerusalem Bible)

--VM44

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

We are getting off topic but in view of the last post I think it is important to see the words of Psalm 137.9 in context:

Psalm 137 (New International Version)

1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion.

2 There on the poplars we hung our harps,

3 for there our captors asked us for songs, our tormentors demanded songs of joy; they said, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!"

4 How can we sing the songs of the LORD while in a foreign land?

5 If I forget you, O Jerusalem, may my right hand forget its skill .

6 May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you, if I do not consider Jerusalem my highest joy.

7 Remember, O LORD, what the Edomites did on the day Jerusalem fell. "Tear it down," they cried, "tear it down to its foundations!"

8 O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us-

9 he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.........................

It seems clear to me that the Psalm writer is not advocating such things, just saying that it would happen - but judge for yourself

• angiebakerzatyahoo
    angiebakerzatyahoo

In the Associated Press story for example at http://dwb.sacbee.com/24hour/nation/story/3617263p-12918091c.html the Watchtower Society's response is:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit