Children Do Not Get Enough Sleep in Watchtower

by WTWizard 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• horrible life
    horrible life

http://www.dadlabs.com/general_parenting/breast_pump.html funny video

The itzbeen timer product ad, at the bottom of this thread, is really a cool site, for new fathers. Now that you men are not robots for the borg, you can spend time with your children.

http://www.dadlabs.com/general_parenting/bath_time_101_poop_in_the_tub.html

even funnier video.

Or just click on the timer ad , and give Simon credit.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

When my two sisters and I were young children (i.e. under the age of ten), my JW grandmother was leaning on my father to enter us all into the JW Indoctrination Process.
    Of course, she didn't exactly call it that - but the intent was still obvious!
    i.e. "Free" Home Bible Study, attending a Public Talk at the Circuit Assembly,
    attending the weekly Public Talk and Watchtower Study at the Kingdom Hall,
    - then generally sinking further and further into that quagmire that all of us on this Discussion Board are so familar with!

My father did attend the Public Talk at one Circuit Assembly.
    Whether or not that was meant to be a real eye-opener, he didn't seem to think so afterwards!
    In fact, his only observation was, to quote, that "it went right over the heads of many who were there."
    By the "many", he was referring to the children.

Because of this, my Dad dug his toes in and refused to countenance bringing us children along to any JW meetings - at the Kingdom Hall or otherwise.

All I can say is that I had a more stimulating - and definitely more interesting - childhood and adolescence than those who "grew up in the truth".
    (Everytime I hear any childhood recollections from those who were raised as JWs, I cringe.
    But then again, as a dutiful Dub parent myself, I raised my childeren in the same mind numbing, soul destroying way as that, too. Whenever I remind myself of this, I cringe even more!)

The WTS is not family friendly. In fact, it is not interested in any way about the welfare of its members.
    (This did come out somewhere in "Crisis of Conscience", where Raymond Franz quoted a conversation between several members of the Governing Body about this very thing).
    All the WTS is concerned about is numerical increase - whether or not to the detriment of individual persons.

Ironically, (or maybe it is poetic justice!) that this Numerical Increase at All Costs approach has come back to bite the WTS on the a#$%:
    -When most who were raised as JWs, turn around and give it the proverbial "Two Fingered Salute" just as soon as they are able to!

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

Love those pictures, got anymore?

Sheperding call: Me, "I think it is borderline abusive to have children stay out so late school nights"

Elder's reply,

My kid's bedtime was 9:00 pm.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Around here, the kids are already waiting for the school bus at 6:30AM

Hell yes it's abusive. The US military uses sleep deprivation as an offensive weapon, it works the same way in this case by making the children more succeptible to suggestion.

This was a favorite technique of the Moonies when they were aggressively recruiting and before all the lawsuits.

• greendawn
    greendawn

When one thinks of it the JW kids have to carry quite an onerous burden for their age attending meetings that are incomprehensible and therefore totally boring to them three times per week and being dragged out into the JW preaching work at least twice per week. No wonder why so many leave when they are old enough to do so.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

Let's add to that the fact that they are supposed to skip homework in favor of studying for these meetings.

g041/22p.15HowCanIFindTimetoDoMyHomework?***

Schoolwork is important, but as Jesus pointed out to Martha, the most important pursuits—‘the good portions’—are spiritual ones. Make sure that homework does not crowd out such important activities as Bible reading, participation in the ministry, and attendance at Christian meetings. These are things that will enrich your life eternally!

w989/1p.19BeSuretoPutFirstThingsFirst!***

Or you are a student. In your room, your desk is piled high with homework. Most of it was assigned some time ago, but you have procrastinated, and now several assignments are due at once. You are tempted to ask for your parents’ permission to stay home from the meeting to finish your homework.... Parents who are conscious of their own spiritual needs help their children to appreciate Christian meetings. As a general rule, they expect their children to do their homework as it is assigned rather than allow assignments to accumulate. On meeting nights the children do their homework as soon as they return home from school. Hobbies and other activities are not permitted to interfere with congregation meetings.... As a teenager, do you schedule your homework around the meetings or the meetings around your homework?

And of course, they must not be allowed to fall asleep on these late nights:

w003/15p.17par.7HowJehovahIsLeadingUs***

When a child goes to school, he is expected to pay attention to the teacher, even when a particular subject does not appeal to him or seems beyond his grasp. The teacher knows that if the child tries to pay attention, he will derive at least some benefit from the lesson. Is it not reasonable, then, for school-age children to pay attention to the instruction provided at congregation meetings rather than be allowed to fall asleep as soon as the meeting begins? Hence, some parents arrange for their children to take a nap before the meetings so that they will arrive at the Kingdom Hall refreshed and ready to learn. Certain parents may strictly limit or even wisely rule out television viewing for their children on meeting nights.

Yeah - children sensistive? Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wonder how much of that "procrastination" resulted from parents (at the insistence of the hounderselders) hauling the children out in field service when the homework comes out. Then it piles out, since there is no time between meetings, service, and not getting enough sleep for the child to attempt to work on it. After all, any children that are old enough to have homework should be spending all that time in the ministry.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Wizard, just found this topic and it exactly describes how my little granddaughter had to live until her mother got custody, recently. The kid said, when leaving her father's and stepmother's house: Now I don't have to half-ass my homework anymore!

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit