The Kingdumb Melodies

by WTWizard 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

One of the things I find distasteful is what the Witnesses' taste for music is. They have the same 225 songs that they had since 1984. And many of those were carried from the previous book.

What I noticed while I was there is that none of the songs are really music. They are so poorly written and performed that I think whoever was in charge of it just threw it together. They are so simple: with 2 exceptions, all repeat the whole song 3 or 4 times with different lyrics. The two that are different repeat it twice. Sometimes there is a "chorus" where the words are the same in that section each time. They have one song where the last syllable is sung differently the last time than the first two; another has an extra line after the third stanza. That is all the variety they are capable of.

If the style and writing is poor, the theme is downright wretched. All of them are intended to create an extra guilt trip and goad people into putting out more service. One of them has a line inciting people to do "much study and service". Lyrics like "Loyal submission in recognition" and "We can live forever; it's worth all endeavor" are common. Obviously there are many more. None of them are any good. And many of the titles are s***: Song 18 is the worst piece of s*** I have ever heard in my life. Blessing our brotherhood? What the $#$% were they smoking when they wrote that? For sure, I wonder how it qualifies as music.

As if this wasn't bad enough, there are those who want people to just listen to these songs all the time and nothing else. The Society effectively bans listening to rap, heavy metal, and alternative music. And they banned disco, rock, and funk in 1983, as well as putting a caution on listening to oldies. What this amounts to is that they are going to hound the hounders to make sure people are listening to only Kingdumb s***. They don't quite go that far, but after the assemblies, many parents feel the need to throw everything else in the trash. Perfectly good CDs are lost.

Then there is that famous, or perhaps infamous Disc #9. This was ballyhooed as "To think they took the time to give us such beautiful music when times are this critical". It is the same remixed cat s*** as all the other songs. There is nothing "beautiful" about this "music"--this is the most pathetic excuse of "music" I have ever heard in my life! I think I will stick to rap with gunshots and swearing.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have to agree WTWizard.. The songs are pathetic.. When they were introduced in the 80's many of the lyrics brought suppressed giggles. The joke is wearing thin now. And the abolition of live accompaniment in favour of bog-standard c/d's has made the songs sound worse..they do not play any "worldly" music, even from the classics before a meeting either

The congo do not care though . The words are mouthed by rote with no feeling or recognition. It might as well be todays shopping list. There is no emphasis or interest in singing properly instead they prefer the maxim that "The songbird and the crow are just as precious to Jehovah" So nobody tries to sing properly.

I guess if the higher powers dont think it important, the cong. will not either

• mouthy
    mouthy

None of them are any good.
    I have to disagree with you "LOYAL LOVE" was my favorite ...It was so meaningful...

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I always hated the kingdumd songs, so much. It's all part of the mind control tactics. Wen you repeat over and over the same lame crap, it eventually sinks in. They make you feel bad if you don't like them to . I told a "brother" once that I could not stand that "music" he was like "what! how can you not like signing praises to Jehovah?" I said " how can I praise god if it's not from the hart? It's the WT that tells me what to sing"

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I have to disagree with you "LOYAL LOVE" was my favorite ...It was so meaningful

Granny, it was one of my favorite, too. But the stanza: Us he gave the faithful slave,

Him a grand commission gave; That Jehovah's name he bear; In its vindication share

began to wear thin after a while.

When we sang in the Baptist church from which I came, we didn't use song books. We knew all of the songs by heart. I learned most of all the Kingdom melodies by heart, also. Others would look at me like I was an oddball. Go figure.

Snowbird

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

This topic made me think about something regarding a particular WTS song. I can still hear that song in my head after all these years. I always thought that the melody for “From House to House, From Door to Door” was kind of creepy. But did anyone else ever notice that if you slow down that song it sounds a lot like the background music from the movie “Halloween?”

• bluebell
    bluebell

And is it me or were they pretty much impossible to sing?

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

I arranged Loyal Love for classical guitar, and that "Prayer of Thanksgiving" one as well.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Us he gave the faithful slave,

Him a grand commission gave; That Jehovah's name he bear; In its vindication share

began to wear thin after a while.

Snowbird....I didnt even realize we sang that....I guess I was truly Blind, daft,

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And they wonder why I prefer 50 Cent. The last time I went to an assembly, I had a headphones on with some of the filthiest rap I could get my mitts on, playing during the whole thing including the Kingdumb s***. For sure, more entertaining than singing the s***.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit