Memorial Day Plans?

by YoursChelbie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

Memorial day.

We go see Dad at Fort Snelling National Cemetary. It would be nice not to be the only one doing this, but sadly this is my duty alone.

Roller

• freyd
    freyd

Going to Bible Student Convention in Burbank.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Myself and a large group of friends are going to the beach for the three day weekend.

I've got to work on my tan...

• troucul
    troucul

Wow, look at you, Richie Rich...All so grown up now...I got 7 bucks in my wallet that says you couldn't have done it on the inside. I'm twice your age but can't grow a beard like you. I'm jealous. At any rate-being a vet now, I'll be on the phone with my bro, a fellow vet. Maybe I'll go and actually see him. Or talk to my grandpa, a WWII vet.

• aarque
    aarque

May 28th is the 2nd anniversary of my dad's passing. I will be with my family, laughing, crying and sharing memories. I will rub the urn that Dad's ashes are in and tell him how much he's missed, then get extra copies of the local paper to have a copy of the memorial we put in.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I will be flying the colors on Memorial Day. On that Saturday, I will be attending a rally supporting the L.A.P.D. that have been given the shaft over the melee started by the illegal aliens on May 1st.

• talley
    talley

Hubby (Bud) and I will again attend the Memorial Day ceremony at Greenwood Cemetery here in River Falls, WI, put on by the local VFW post. Supporting the VFW is the RF High School Band, and local Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. We have attended this ceremony every year since I read Crisis of Conscience - Feb.'02. Before we married he attended every year.

The ceremony is very moving and militarally formal, complet with a fly-over! The local 'rendition' of Taps at the close is especially heart wrenching; the bugler at the flag stand and then an 'echoing' bugler out of sight, on a rise almost a quarter of a mile away. The effect is marvelously eerie and very, very sad. The thoughs expressed from the podeum emphasize the blessings of life as enjoyed in the U.S., how hard fought was it's founding and idealism, and how important it's defence has been and still is. In all it is a wonderful tribute to all who have served and especially to those who have fallen in combat and to their famlies.

Judy

• talley
    talley

And 'garybuss', what you do at the grave markers is really quite important.

When Bud and I married in ' 74, he took me to the cemetery and showed me the 'family plot' where his Dad, an infant sister, a todler sister, and a 12 year old sister are burried. The sisters had small vertical stone markers and Dad's was metal and set horizontally on the ground. Then when his Mom died in ' 81, it was thought that his Dad did not have a marker. But I remembered seeing it in ' 74 and trying to figure his Dad's age at death and how old Bud was when his Dad died. I insisted that it was there and sure enough, after a bit of probing, they found Dad's bronze horizontal marker all grown over with a very healthy turf of grass.

Thanks garybuss for your dedication and kindness,

Judy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit