Memorial Day Plans?

by YoursChelbie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Do you have the day off from work (in the US) Memorial Day, May 28th?

If so, what are planning to do? Golf? Tennis? Swimming?

YC

• garybuss
    garybuss

On Memorial weekend I actually go visit graves. I take hand garden tools and a pail and I edge the stones. It's an all day deal and I look forward to it. I go to Hills Of Rest in Sioux Falls, then Pipestone, and then Arco.

I always have a late lunch on the way home at Lang's in Pipestone.

• hambeak
    hambeak

Just another day to me nothing special

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie
    I take hand garden tools and a pail and I edge the stones.

That's interesting. Have you been doing this for several years? Any particular reason why you do this?

YC

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Camping and Mountain Biking with friends.

• greendawn
    greendawn

What is the memorial day? Who is it for?

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

greendawn: Memorial Day in the US is a day of rememberace to those who have died in military service while serving the US in wars.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_day

YC

• greendawn
    greendawn

Thanks Chelbie, this is a holiday unique to the USA, I knew about thanks giving day and independence day but not this one.

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: Have you been doing this for several years? Any particular reason why you do this?

Yes, I have done it every year for many years. If I don't edge the markers, the grass will grow up and onto the markers. I also clean any dirt or bird stains off the markers. For that job, I take mild cleaner and a terry cloth towel.

I also visit the graves of friends who have died.

• Mum
    Mum

Memorial Day was originally for the purpose of honoring the soldiers who died in the American Civil War, 1861-1865. To most Americans, it is just a day off from work.

When I was a child living in rural Kentucky and Tennessee, my grandmother called it "Decoration Day." She would spend weeks making flowers from crepe paper to decorate the graves of deceased family members. Some of the graveyards are now in areas where no one lives any longer and might be unsafe to visit because of snakes in the overgrown weeds. Some of the graveyards are maintained by people who are paid by family members of those buried there. I am so far away now and never visit graves. It is time I paid a visit back home.

Regards,

SandraC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit