Was it ever to your advantage to say that you were a JW?

by JH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Maybe during an interview, "Hey, I'm a JW", you can trust me....lol

The elders always told us that Jehovah's name opens doors.

Well, not in my case, how about you?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yeah, whenever Im talking with someone about something that Im ignorant about, I usually just say I was raised a JW, and led a sheltered life,----They completely understand.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Yep, anytime I wanted to get out of something I didnt want to do........sorry, its against my religion!

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

At first I thought I would be able to recall a few at least. Now I cannot truthfully say that it was an advantage, ever!

I have been an 'in-your-face' JW in the past, that would take on the 'fine fight' at a moments notice. All I managed to do was piss people off!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If anything, it was a disadvantage. What usually happened was I lost out on many an opportunity for just about everything. But, when approached for homosexual contact, the guys doing the approaching of me didn't give a &^$) either way, and neither did anyone else. As for the honesty aspect, all it did was to put a big target on me for petty offenses that a white lie would likely have worked as well.

In public, it is an embarrassment more than anything else. Being a Jehovah's Witless doesn't protect you from crime, scams, or anything else. If anything, the criminals are more likely to pick on a Witless because they are less likely to fight back.

• jeanV
    jeanV

I know someone that was denied a job after saying she was a JW.

personally I never made a big publicity about it and never witnessed at work. but people would find out anyway. A lot of times they were surprised as they thought I was normal

• agapa37
    agapa37

JH

It is one thing to 'say' you are a JW, it is an 'entirely' different thing to actually be one. That is the problem with many today, not only in Gods Organization, but also in the proffessed Christian groups. Claiming to be something and proving to be otherwise. There are many advantages of having the JW name attached to you when you are actually being one. I for one enjoy how some at my job will not curse and tell dirty jokes around me out of respect, knowing I am a JW and do not talk like that, whereas they have no problem talking that way around the professed Christian Ministers who join in right along with them. That is a great advantage in that you are not subject to obscence speech all day long.

You said that is was never an advantage in your case? Maybe it was because you acted in a manner that reflected you were just like all the rest, and thus was treated like them.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well agapa37, perhaps those ministers werent true ministers either, it works both ways you know. It's very convenient to say whenever a JW commits wrongdoing "well they werent a true JW anyway" Will you offer the same explanation for those ministers who laughed at your dirty jokes.

By the way those "ministers" that would laugh at those dirty jokes, probably be highly offended to find out that your "true religion" hides pedophiles.

• JH
    JH
    I for one enjoy how some at my job will not curse and tell dirty jokes around me out of respect, knowing I am a JW

Well at my work place, there were naked woman all over the walls, and they would make fun of me asking me if those girls made me hard....

Yeah, i worked in a factory. They made fun of me because I was a good JW, unlike what you supposed.

• restrangled
    restrangled

It is one thing to 'say' you are a JWGod's Sole Channel on Earth despite the fact that your only proof is the claim that Christ "invisably " returned in 1914, chose a group that believed Russell was the FDS, operated for 14 years without contradicting that, then in 1927 has an abrupt change of doctrine to say that the FDS which supposedly has been ruling since 1914 is actually someone entirely different. Then to top it off, the later version of the FDS is not described in detail until the late 30's and resembles nothing that Christ "invisibly" chose in 1914., it is an 'entirely' different thing to actually be one. That is the problem with many today, not only in Gods Organization, but also in the proffessed Christian groups. Claiming to be something and proving to be otherwise.

r's hubby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit