Can one man be an Island? Bumping into old workmates - awkward

by needproof 20 Replies latest jw friends

• needproof
    needproof

I like to consider myself a bit of an island. Some might call what I do anti-social. As an island, I have to face inescapable facts - those being that sometimes, I must travel to the mainland.

Today, I traveled. I had to go to shopping, trying hard to avoid the fruit and veg isle because an ex workmate from previous employment works there. Last week I got stuck with him for 45 minutes as we spoke about our past working experiences.

As I left the store today, I felt relief to be heading home. As I began to load up the car, I heard a voice calling - at first, I thought a parent was calling his child. As I turned around, I realized that it was a very old workmate from years gone by. Now I don't want to sound rude, but these kind of liaisons I do not like. It is as though the conversation is always awkward; centering around how successful (or not so) each other is.

What I am trying to say is, how small is your world? I am the kind of person who does a daily routine everyday, avoiding as many people as I can (since I work from home) and only really being sociable to neighbors. I pride myself on kindness and try to do anything for such people, so it is not like I don't like people. I just don't like any influence disturbing my little island or world.

Am I just weird, or does anybody else feel the same way?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Weird? Maybe, but if you have an extra ticket for that ride, sign me up.

I can't stand superficial relationships. If I see someone I knew, I'll give them a head nod and that's all I need or expect. When they come over and want to chat I get rather annoyed. I haven't seen them in years, and after we part I won't see them again, perhaps ever.

Why waste time pretending we share some common interest. My wife is quite a social butterfly and thinks I'm quite weird.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Weird? Nah, just being you that's all.

Everyone has their own personality and it's no one else's place to say that he/she is weird. I think people should let other people be who they are.

I hate it when you see and old friend, that you no longer have a close relationship with, person has not even called you to say hi, what's up and when they bump into you, they want a hug and huge greeting!!

That really burns my arse!!!

nj

• needproof
    needproof

Hi Para, excuse my inability to write your whole name. Thanks for the comments, and I also would like to keep to the head-nodding routine. Now that is the way to go, I hate the whole 'lets be big buddies' way. Perhaps my whole inability to be this great social person goes back to my total distrust of people.

• themonster123
    themonster123

I don't think anyone enjoys seeing some random person who you have a very obligated connection with (ie; some guy from your old work). It sounds like you're describing that Elevator Awkwardness-where you're standing in the elevator in silence w/ a stranger and you're both looking at the ceiling! he he.... It's just kind of part of Life, I guess. You sound like you just want meaningful relationships and conversations (like everyone). I guess you kind of have to navigate through the superficial of everyday to get to the good stuff (meaningful conversations and such).

• PEC
    PEC

Yes, you are weird, we all are weird. You didn't have to spend 45 minutes talking to that ex workmate, just say you have to go and leave.

Philip

• DJK
    DJK

I too am anti-social. Unfortunately that's the way I'm built. Thinking about it now I can say I spent more time worrying about having conversations with people, some I dread, than the actual conversation would take. Does that make sense or is that weird?

• ninja
    ninja

sign me up too....I very very rarely talk on the phone....just got a mobile last week (for a free playstation 3).......used it once since then...absolutely hate small talk....but I am civil to folk....I hate it when you do that "never noticed each other" dance....it takes nothing to say hello....I was going into a shop last week when a witness...an old friend.... Terence Monaghan is his name...hi Terry if you're reading this....pretended he didn't notice me 4 feet in front of him when he was coming out of the shop.....maybe it was the stocking on my head and the double-barrelled shotgun...but he was an ignoramus......grrrrrr....stomp stomp stomp....see you've got me started........SLAM!!!!!!...ouch.....caught my finger in the door....its one of those days.........muhahahahahaha

• needproof
    needproof

DJK I know EXACTLY what you mean!

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

I LOATHE small talk, especially in the workplace!!! Just let me come in and do my job, and leave me the HELL alone!!!! I hate getting "personal" with very many people, I much prefer the anti-social routine, and to stick to myself, and smaller groups

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit