Are Interracial Relationships—A Taboo Subject?

by The wanderer 64 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Are Inter racial Relation ships— A Taboo Subject?

The exposure to individuals of other racial backgrounds was helpful in my past
    Jehovah’s Witness life to see past racial prejudice. I am grateful for the exposure.

However, being in a friendship with someone of a different, race, creed, color or
    religion is different then being involved with someone on an emotional level.

How Do You View Inter racial Relation ships ?

Personally, my preference would be to become involved with someone of my
    own
    racial background. However, that is not to say I would consider myself
    prejudice. No, I think everyone needs to consider the individual regardless
    of race.

What would be your reaction if you son, daughter, brother, or sister brought
    home someone of a different race?

Would you become emotionally involved with someone not of your race, say,
    an African-American, Hispanic-American, or Asian-American?

How would you feel about this and why?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

I am in an inter-racial marriage. And it's HARD. I love my husband and couldn't imagine my life without him. But it is very very very very very HARD HARD HARD.

If you get involved with someone of another race, be prepared to have issues you will not have otherwise. I don't advise for it or against it, just preparation for what's ahead if you choose it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

My wife's Sister is married to a black man [she is white].

My brother was married to a Black woman for 6 years till his death.

My cousin is married to a Black woman for about 12 years now.

All of them have been very happy.

My wife and I were the adoptive parents to a bi-racial child. She gave us fits for a long time, and I believe much of it may have been due to insecurity related to that.

So a mixed bag - the marriages I know of outside my family of a bi-racial sort have also fared well. But children of such unions have difficulty in some environs that are dominated by one race. IMO.

Jeff

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I have been in relationships with members of other races, which lasted for varying lengths of time, and in those specific instances, found it to be not worth the additional work required. While there were some good points, overall, the "return" measured in satisfaction, was not sufficiently great to be worth the higher expenditure of effort in order to make things work. Having actually tried such an arrangement, I can say without prejudice - Making a relationship work is sufficiently difficult as it is, I can't think why one would make a choice which is likely to make it even MORE difficult.

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

I am all for interracial relationships. It seems pretty narrow minded to me that an individual would make skin color or race a determining factor in a relationship. The last time I checked, we ARE living in the 21st century...

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

brown people and pink people. whatever. what's so difficult about that? different color pigmentation due to slight chromosomal variation.

it doesn't have anything to do with "race". it has everything to do with culture. and the culture that some people maintain makes it difficult.

let me put it this way:

brown homo sapien has a relationship with pink homo sapien. everything works. they can even have a child . but the "ignorant space" in people's heads around them make their relationship "taboo" or "very hard".

tetra (of the 'octarune" class)

• dust
    dust

I tend to say that I belong to the race called Homo Sapiens, and I would definitely not like to marry a Homo Neanderthalis. So I married another Homo Sapiens, and I have to admit that the colour of eyes, hair or skin wasn't important at all. (I've seen reports somewhere that the genetic variation is larger within a group of persons with the same skin colour than is the difference between the average 'white' and the average 'black' person.)

Why are people so focused on skin colour anyways? Lactose tolerance/intolerance should logically have the potential to be a more decisive factor, considering the consequences in the kitchen. 'Do not marry a person with another level of lactose (in)tolerance, it's against the principles of nature.' Now, THAT would be something, wouldn't it.

But a thing that I have never understood, is this -- I don't know if this really is the situation over there in America, but this is at least what I've seen in a couple of American soap operas here in Europe: If an American is the owner of a skin that is not completely palish pink (also called 'white' for some mysterious reason), then the person is called 'black'. Why isn't it the other way around, that if a person's skin isn't completely black, then the person be called 'white'?

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

To BlueS and Gaia - Can you expand on the "harder" parts of being in a relationship of someone of another race? There is the obvious of 'looks' and comments from outsiders - is that what you are referring to?

Personally for me, being superficial, there is an 'attraction' factor of appreciating women of all races, but I would imagine relating to someone in a relationship would be easier if there were of my own race. That being said I really love shredded beef burritios and mexican food in general.......................so maybe I should just buy a cookbook from a Mexican gal

• Mary
    Mary

Inter-racial unions can produce some stunningly beautiful offspring. Below is the granddaughter of one of my co-workers.....the mother is white and the father is black. Doesn't she look like a young Vanessa Williams?

LindasGranddaughter-1.jpg

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Does wonders for the gene pool - I am totally for it - the more the better - the more there are the more harmony there is likely to be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit