My Discovery- I Broke Free of WTS Because I Can Admit Mistakes

by OnTheWayOut 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am reading MISTAKES WERE MADE (BUT NOT BY ME)- WHY WE JUSTIFY FOOLISH
    BELIEFS, BAD DECISIONS, AND HURTFUL ACTS. It came highly recommended
    by Blondie. Anyway, I have already tried to learn alot about cognitive dissonance.

If you aren't familiar with it:

Cognitive dissonance is a psychological term which describes the uncomfortable tension that comes
    from holding two conflicting thoughts at the same time, or from engaging in behavior that conflicts with one's
    beliefs. More precisely, it is the perception of incompatibility between two cognitions, where "cognition" is
    defined as any element of knowledge, including attitude, emotion, belief, or behavior. The theory of cognitive
    dissonance states that contradicting cognitions serve as a driving force that compels the mind to acquire or
    invent new thoughts or beliefs, or to modify existing beliefs, so as to reduce the amount of dissonance (conflict)
    between cognitions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

I am convinced that this is the biggest factor in staying a JW, and is a huge factor in becoming one.
    This dissonance had a hold on me. I am not immune, but given enough time, I am always able to
    admit my mistakes and try to correct them.

As a young student of JW literature, I knew my ways were wrong, and they knew their ways were right.
    I succumbed like many others would and did.

On p. 21, "frugal unflashy Nick" trades in his Honda Civic for a loaded Mercedes. He then begins to
    justify his decision. He "needs" a safer car. It's worth the extra money. He deserves this for his
    years of hard work. The worse his financial situation, the more he will justify it. The authors then say
    that whenever you are about to make a big purchase or a huge decision, don't ask someone who has
    just done it. They will say "It was the best thing I ever did." to justify their decision. People aren't
    inclined to say "I am sorry I spent 12 years in therapy with that doctor, and spent thousands on it. Don't
    make the same mistake I made." They are much more likely to say "The doc helped me, he can help
    you."

Looking back, that wasn't me at all. I will justify myself in many instances, but I look for my errors.
    Even at the beginning, I knew "my ways were wrong." I was used to admitting mistakes and apologizing.
    I learned that an apology can smooth things over better than a justification of actions.

A colleague recently asked about the SUV I bought. He asked if the 4x4 and the running boards were
    worth the extra money. Most people would say "It's more of a truck with them." That's why I got them.
    Instead, I said "I thought I wanted more of a truck, but I never needed the 4x4, and only used it a couple
    of times. The running boards hold dirt and you need to step on them or else stepping over them gets
    your pants dirty. I would get the front-wheel drive w/o the extras if I could do it again."

I was a reluctant acceptor of doctrine. I argued with my elder teacher about points, but eventually was
    won over by cognitive dissonance. Once on my own, I could continue to argue against the points in
    a WT study article. My wife noticed that I did that. Even though I hung on for years afterward, doctrinal
    changes like 1995's "this generation" were sure to make me reexamine my faith and question my own
    decision that this was the truth.

If I were frugal unflashy Nick, I might try to justify a bad decision, but once it's bad, I accept it. I would
    say "the payments are killing me." and "It's just a car. Don't make my mistake." Even there, am I
    trying to save the other person, or just look smarter than I was when I made the mistake. The mind is
    a tricky thing.

Now, the challenge is in how to use this. I am going to get that book into my mother's hands. I don't
    think the wife will ever read it, but I leave it laying around. She's yet to pick it up.
    Thanks for reading this far.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I would say that this was a big factor for me too. Also that I like to cut my losses. But JWs have a hard time being wrong. It goes with the perfectionistic view that they (hey I can truthfully say they now!) hold.

tsof

• zack
    zack

I'm with you on admitting mistakes. In business you have to be brutally honest about the performance of your company or you will go bust.

With me, it started by wanting to make sure I wasn't wrong. I needed to re-inforce I was RIGHT about what i had beleived in all my life.

If my EVERLASTING future depended on my choice of religion, then I better examine everything--- just like a business decision.

Well, the religion could not stand up to honest scrutiny. It needs and feeds on lies, half truths, distortions, wishful thinking, and everything

else that is NEGATIVE. It really sunk in that being a JW is about being negative, not positive. It's about being busy NOT dieing, instead of

being busy LIVING.

Thanks for the post. Your insights are always appreciated.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    In business you have to be brutally honest about the performance of your company or you will go bust.

The discovery gives me great hope. Cognitive dissonance doesn't always hold on to you. Nick
    eventually has to trade in the Mercedes. Many do examine their decisions after the fact.

Staying a JW is such a major decision. It takes major circumstances or a build-up of smaller
    ones to overcome the c.d.

For my wife, the current "Don't go to college" mantra of the new light will be a problem. She will
    have to justify defying their warped logic. She can say why she went, and why she was right, but
    that will not harmonize with current truth of the WTS.

I wonder if I can get my mother to reexamine her reasons for staying. I think I will have to reread some
    of Steve Hassan's second book to think of some mini-interventions.

I know I sound excited when I run off with my plans. In reality, I don't expect family members to
    suddenly become as free from their mind-prison as I am. But hope is wonderful.

• karnage
    karnage

This is a very interesting topic. I don't think that I can ever recall a meeting in where the elders had said that they were wrong about something or anything. We are all human and neither of us are perfect... so how is it that the WTS or the elders are never wrong? You never hear anything about a retraction or a "hey, we were wrong" speech or article.

I can recall a moment when I was deeply troubled over something that had occured within a congregation, and I asked the elders about the events that had taken place. The elder first tried to justify the action, but I stuck to my guns and kept throwing questions at him. He was trying to get away from me and told me that he would find me the answer and get back to me. Well... I am still waiting for that answer, and this was years ago.

Being human is also being able to admit that we are wrong at times.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think you're onto something that is of key importance as a general life skill. Good post!

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Cognitive dissonance is a psychological term which describes the uncomfortable tension that comes
    from holding two conflicting thoughts at the same time, or from engaging in behavior that conflicts with one's
    beliefs
    . More precisely, it is the perception of incompatibility between two cognitions, where "cognition" is
    defined as any element of knowledge, including attitude, emotion, belief, or behavior. The theory of cognitive
    dissonance states that contradicting cognitions serve as a driving force that compels the mind to acquire or
    invent new thoughts or beliefs, or to modify existing beliefs, so as to reduce the amount of dissonance
    (conflict)
    between cognitions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Actually it is the rationalization, the excuses we make to decrease the uncomfortable feeling we have that kept us in the organization. Cognitive dissonance is the realization that there something wrong and we feel uneasy. So we are driven to make plausible excuses.

There are other psychological factors at play here as well. There is a psychological need to socialize with people and this leads to the pressure of conformity, if everyone else listens and accepts what's being said, we feel the added pressure to conform (we don't want to appear foolish or the oddball). Click on this youtube link Asch conformity experiments, it is fasinating.

There is another psychological factor at play in the congregation, that is the pressure to be obedient to the elders, society, governing body. Stanley Milgram preformed a test to see what are the factors that lead to obedience to authority and how far we would go. It was absolutely shocking to see how far people will go to be obedient. Google Milgram's shock machine and read up on the experiment and see if you can locate a video of the experiment.

What got me out was when I started refusing to make unreasonable excuses and rationalization for the organization, conformity and obedience be damned!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Actually it is the rationalization, the excuses we make to decrease the uncomfortable feeling we have that kept us in the organization. Cognitive dissonance is the realization that there something wrong and we feel uneasy. So we are driven to make plausible excuses.

I accept your additional thoughts on what is done to reduce the dissonance. The point here is not to argue over
    c.d. (You can if you want, but that's not the point.)

Dissonance is the tension. Rationalizing and making excuses are what we do to reduce the tension.

In simple words, our thoughts are that Witnesses are not telling us the truth, but our feelings are that they
    make sense of the Bible and the world. Our actions start to become parroting of the book they study with us,
    and changing our morality to suit those that study the literature with us. Our feelings and actions are in harmony
    with JW's but not our thoughts. We start to rationalize that their teachings could be correct, should be correct.
    Everything would make sense if the teachings were correct. Eventually we say that the teachings must be
    correct.

More commonly- some are led to believe the thoughts and the feelings, so the only thing left to do is bring their
    actions into harmony with what they have been taught. That's how we start going to the Hall and proclaiming the
    truth to our family then to strangers.

This is why you folks with children must make sure they hear the other side. Outside information can reveal the
    inside problems.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit