Any hobby machinists or blacksmiths?

by BrentR 37 Replies latest social entertainment

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I wish I could help you out with your testing.

You better make sure tequilla doesn't leak out either.

enjoy

• BrentR
    BrentR

The rigorous testing has ben completed and it is now certified as a shot glass. Although there is a bit of a frying pan aftertaste.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I hope you get a chance some day soon to get some metal shop machinery and start designing and building.

(Dragging this thread up from a while ago)

You must be a good hoper! It looks fairly certain that with in a month or three, I'll be able to obtain the Sherline complete machine shop package (Lathe and Milling machine inclusive). Okay, so it's not exactly man-sized, but it's pretty well complete as far as being able to make most stuff, albeit on a petite scale. I may undertake a long term project of building a larger lathe, powered by (say) an old washing machine motor. (Am I in the club now??) Until then, I'll probably start with stuff like your shot glasses and maybe candlestick holders.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i do metal working and wrought iron work.

my shop was destroyed by katrina, but, i am going to build a shop in my backyard. i am hoping to get a cnc machine. i have a plasma cutter, just need the machine.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I've been looking around at stuff on the 'net, and, subject to having materials available at the time, I may make that old standard of homeshop machinists, the quickchange toolpost. Sherline sell one, but because of the exchange rate it is expensive. It would be a good way to find my feet again: dovetail cutting, making a camlock and so forth.

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i built a crucible. it's pretty cool. works really well. you can take scrap and melt them down to pour into molds. you can find out how to make them on the net. mine is propane.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    i built a crucible. it's pretty cool. works really well. you can take scrap and melt them down to pour into molds. you can find out how to make them on the net. mine is propane.

I've been looking at such things on the net for some time now. The ability to melt down one's own scrap into reusable form is a distinct advantage. I'd probably experiment with those designs that use discarded cooking oil - cheaper than propane, and adundant at this house!

• bigdreaux
    bigdreaux

i hear you steph. i use propane because it burn hot, and i get it from free at my shop. and it does burn clean. the trick is scraping the impurities out as it melts. this helps keep it form oxidizing. the cleaner the better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit