Any hobby machinists or blacksmiths?

by BrentR 37 Replies latest social entertainment

• BrentR
    BrentR

I was curious if there are any hobby blacksmiths or machinists on JWD? For me it's a hobby and part time business and would like to find out if anyone enjoys it as much as I do.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I used to work as a machinist and I loved it. At the end of the week I'd walk around the shop and look at everything I'd made - it was very satisfying. I had to change my career 12 years ago because of my health. I'd like to do it again as a hobby and part time business.

W

• BrentR
    BrentR

It's my only creative outlet since I can't write, draw, paint or sculpt. I make alot of custom knives but recently I have been making specialized tools for other blacksmiths and bladesmiths. Next month I will be getting a bigger milling machine and that should expand my capabilities alot.

This weekend I will be making a shot glass from some 160 year old wrought iron from a pre-Cival War tall ship anchor chain. Iron back then had alot of silica that was not refined out and when you etch it in acid it has a very unique grain.

What did you make mostly back when you machined?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Mostly I made hydraulic and pneumatic cylinders and valves when I worked in a jobbing shop. I also worked for a company that made parts for F15 and F18 aircraft. As a JW I always thought all the aluminum dust in the air would eventually make me senile. The fact we were doing work for the military didn't bother me though.

I miss the smell of the shop, and all my expensive tools are just sitting in storage right now.

W

• BFD
    BFD

I have taken two blacksmith classes and I really enjoyed both. There is a museum in my area that offers these classes in the fall and I will take it again this year. I made a set of fireplace tools (shovel, hook and poker), a variety of hooks and a hot plate.

I wish I were able to practice more but, I don't have the tools I need. So, I'll wait until September and go bang out some more stuff. I love it.

BFD

• BrentR
    BrentR

I really like pounding on orange hot steel and forming it into different shapes. For me it's a way to go back in time before Flow jets, lathes, CNC and plasma cutters. Blacksmithing is a disappearing art and only a small handfull of people are still doing it.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

BrentR:

This weekend I will be making a shot glass from some 160 year old wrought iron from a pre-Cival War tall ship anchor chain. Iron back then had alot of silica that was not refined out and when you etch it in acid it has a very unique grain.

Fascinating! I hope you post some pics of your project for us.

j

• BrentR
    BrentR

I will have to test it out first, very extensive testing will be required.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

I manufacture titanium piercing jewelry, mostly captive bead rings, in a variety of gauges and diameters. I have access to an andonizer also in my boss's machine shop, so I can change the titanium to several different colors.

I also make / modify medical tools for my own personal use as a body piercer.

I'm not making what most people are, but its pretty fun...

• BrentR
    BrentR

Titanium is certainly a bugger to work. I have done a few projects with it and I hate more each time I use it. If you ever want to build your own anodizer let me know and I can PM you with the plans. It is pretty simple and alot of people just use a computer power supply.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit