Relationships....

by RichieRich 31 Replies latest jw friends

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Great Relationship/Friendship Quotes that someone sent me ...

“Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship in order to get something: they're trying to find someone who's going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place that you go to give, and not a place that you go to take.”

"If we are incapable of finding peace in ourselves, it is pointless to search elsewhere." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

“A loving relationship is one in which the loved one is free to be himself -- to laugh with me, but never at me; to cry with me, but never because of me; to love life, to love himself, to love being loved. Such a relationship is based upon freedom and can never grow in a jealous heart.”

“Don’t settle for a relationship that won’t let you be yourself.” - Oprah Winfrey

"When we're incomplete, we're always searching for somebody to complete us. When, after a few years or a few months of a relationship, we find that we're still unfulfilled, we blame our partners and take up with somebody more promising. This can go on and on until we admit that while a partner can add sweet dimensions to our lives, we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter.”

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

You said there's friendships with women you know that you don't want to jeopardize. I learned a great lesson.

In my late teens I had a friend that was a girl that we were best of friends with. We never dated, though we ended up dating each other's friends. It was pretty cool, she was the person that I would talk to about girl problems and she'd talk to me about her man problems. We were both content to just be friends.

Then we both moved away and still kept in touch. One day I got a call from her telling me her great news. She was getting married.

It was at that point that I realized that we couldn't keep our friendship at the same level. It just wouldn't be appropriate. So because neither of us thought of the other as potential dating material we ended up losing our friendship.

Then a few months later her fiance cheated on her and she called off the wedding. Opportunity rarely knocks twice so I jumped at the chance.

We've been married for over 8 years and it really couldn't be much better. We discovered that since we met being friends we got to see each other's real self, not the fake front that we all put up to some extent when pursuing someone else.

Yes you can lose a friendship, but weighed against the potential of finding a soul mate, is it worth the risk?

Always go with your heart, missed opportunity can be very haunting.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Can you get to Dallas Fort Worth airport in the next hour. We can have a meaningful relationship and I promise not to cling or read Tolstoy during our date!

Sorry you broke up honey, she seemed really cool, but you will go through lots of girls between now and when I next get over.

xxx

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Sorry you broke up honey, she seemed really cool, but you will go through lots of girls between now and when I next get over.

Haha, is that a promise Crumpet?

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

It was Richie but it took you 2 1/2hours to reply

That's our Crumpet - flying the Brit flag in the US

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

I like it when girls call me honey

• Roski
    Roski

In the future perhaps you will benefit by thinking outside the box - so to speak. 'Society's' boundaries are not for everyone. I have been married for several years to a person much younger than myself and from a different culture. He broke 'all' the rules and I broke a few. He dislikes women from his own culture as he believes they cling but control. They also tend to be very immature for their age when young, but become more controlling/demanding as they get older. We have been through a lot - one way and another - things that would have broken up many couples (as in external pressures) but just the other night he said "I really love you - your the only person I trust comepletely and feel comfortable with". He has said that many times over the years. He respects me for what I am good at and I do the same - even though we are very different in some ways. If you knew his cultural background it would be easy to see why. I don't think anyone thought our marriage would work - particularly as I was still a JW (kind of) at the time - so there was that to overcome too. My reason for writing this (I don't usually go into my story) is to say - know yourself and follow through with what you feel is right for you. He had the courage to be different and now his friends envy his freedom to make choices they cannot. Hope this helps a little.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    know yourself and follow through with what you feel is right for you

Exactly. Which is why I'm content to do a million first dates.

Tonight's contender was Ashley. Nice girl who is really interested in the industry I work in, who I met while bouncing. Comes from money, and has her own, but all in all a nice girl. We went out for coffee and then walked around downtown Raleigh. Then we went back to my piercing shop, and I showed her some neat things. 24 years old, by the way.

I think I'll give her a second date.

Tommorrow nights contender- Ashleigh. Yeah, I know.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Dont they have girls with different names in your area!

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Unfortunately, Ashleigh was severely lacking in the personality department.

Guess I'm just gonna have to wait til Crumpet can get back to the US.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit