How the Society Portrays Cultural Diversity

by compound complex 29 Replies latest jw friends

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

gerontocracy. good word.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

and i'm laughing here (at myself) 'cuz i think those years studying the "reasoning" book in anticipation of conversations to come have left me a bit "proleptic". it's nice to have a word for my problem. LOL

• compound complex
    compound complex

BTTT, to complement Cedars' thread on the newest calendars . . .

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Mount Hood, Oregon

Mount Jefferson, Oregon

Mount Shasta, California

Mount San Jacinto, California

Mount San Gorgonio, California

• mindseye
    mindseye

I find the paradise representations to be a paradoxical cross between communist utopian art and the aesthetic of 1950's American Surburbia. I never found it very appealing - give me either rugged wilderness or the buzz of urban life - but not this manicured conformity.

As far as diversity - is it diversity if a culture cannot keep its own religious and philosophical traditions? For instance, Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, and Confucian traditions make up the east. In this 'new system' all cultures are expected to turn in their heritage for a homogeneous American religion.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, I've read that iconography essay a while back. It's always interesting to get an academic take on Witness culture.

• perfect1
    perfect1

It all about luscious ladies and luscious fruit.

• jgnat
  • jgnat
  • jgnat
    jgnat

Willmore Lake

Where I live.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Their idea of cultural diversity is very superficial, mostly dealing with clothing and perhaps a few trinkets. Morality, ethics, religious views, grooming and interpersonal relationships are highly regimented to follow the dictates of some of the most benighted American men you can imagine, short of outright warmongers.

A man growing his hair out to a natural length is bad, according to these dupes, but hair that is even longer and greased up for a combover is perfectly fine.

http://jwsurvey.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/stephen-lett-face.jpg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit