How the Society Portrays Cultural Diversity

by compound complex 29 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

On a related and humorous note:

Years ago there was an elder in my hall who said "everybody should stop chewing gum now". Why? Because there won't be a chewing gum factory in the new system.

My question? Will there be nylon stockings?

LHG

• snowbird
    snowbird

After seeing all the happy, nuclear families in WT illustrations, I used to think to myself: "Somebody got lost in the 50's." This caused me and my first child a lot of stress until I learned that this was just another person's idea of how things should be. The reality is that we are all broken, hurting creatures. No amount of fantasizing is going to change that.

Snowbird

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Friends, for your comments - those humorous as well as serious. And welcome to Snowbird, whose closing words I'd like to quote:

"[...] this was just another person's idea of how things should be.
    The reality is that we are all broken, hurting creatures. No amount of
    fantasizing is going to change that."

Beautifully and accurately stated. The "artist's conception" and the "oracle" of Brooklyn's [FW Franz] visions put to paper have given millions a false hope. I personally believe in a Bible-based hope, brought to fruition through Jesus Christ,
    but it scarcely matches the slick and glossy presentation manufactured by the Watch Tower organization.

CoCo

• Clam
    Clam

Very interesting CoCo, thanks.

I'd never seen the illustration with the kids wrestling with Pandas before, LOL bizzare. I never cease to be amazed at how I happily bought into the new wold lifestyle as represented by these images. Reminds me of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, or maybe it's not a million miles away from another more famous fantasy world -

1008849x.jpg

• RedPill2006
    RedPill2006

RichieRich & Arthur:

ROFLMAO!!! I didn't intend to log on today, but I saw your comments on the Society's view about kakhi pants and HAD TO tell you how I started laughing.....your humour is great! Loved it. Keep it rolling...

RedPill.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

jayhawk1:

I just want to know who will be in charge of the beach ball factory.

Beach balls? Pah, there were no beach balls in my day! The addition of balls and other "wholesome" toys to pictures of JW paradise is only a recent one. Up until at least the late '90s everybody was either picking fruit or stroking pandas.

• compound complex
    compound complex

BTTT for jambon1 et al ...

• compound complex
    compound complex

The term for "bringing" the future into the here-and-now is prolepsis ...

Mommy, Daddy, are we there yet!

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I love the geography of every picture they show of paradise.

A beautiful field, with a huge pond behind it, and then big, snow covered mountains in the back ground.

Where in the world does that exist? And why in the hell are there tigers / lions there??

In the Pacific Northwest...minus the tigers and lions of course. The artist that consistenly paints variations of that same picture is from the PNW. On the twenty or so days each year it looks like that, locals refer to it as "the mountain is out." Most of the time, the mountain is behind cloud cover.

http://cascadiasong.blogspot.com/2007/01/mountain-is-out.html

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, Justia Themis:

Thank you for The Mountain is Out. The Cascades and the PNW have been very important to me since my actual visit to that area years ago and through The Egg and I, Onions in the Stew and The Plague and I, by Betty MacDonald.

Gratefully,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit