Top 10 things cultish to outsiders, but normal to Witnesses!!

by themonster123 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Arthur
    Arthur

I certainly have a bone to pick. Actually, four:

I think that there is something completely pathological about anyone who would gauge a person's spirituality on whether their car has two-doors or four.

I think that it is assinine that a women should have to wear a hat or scarf on her head when she conducts a study in front of man.

I think it is utterly schizophrenic that someone would be afraid of Smurfs, yet follow a religion founded by a guy who had a fetish for pyramids and "miracle wheat".

The next time someone tells me that it is bad to say "what the heck" because it is the same as saying "hell", I am going to pee on their shoes.

• themonster123
    themonster123

Notaness, Good point brotha about shaving-that it IS God-given and I'm sure for you guys it does get dry and patchy and just too bumpy and painful to shave it sometimes....

Kudra, hilarious about the duct tape

and Arthur, so true about the car-door thing! lol....

• compound complex
    compound complex

Stilted, unnatural speech:

1) I had the privilege of...[bringing 27 people into the truth, only to have pangs of
    conscience later and seek them out, giving them each a copy of Steve Hassan's book].

2) Let us all have a meaningful share this Saturday in [seeing who can eat the most donuts, the magazine work, helping out at the local soup kitchen].

3) Would it be the course of wisdom to...[sleep in on Saturday morning (see # 2)]?

4) Can you not see yourself there...[in jail, at a rock concert, at Harrods, in paradise]?

5) This publication will help us stay up-to-date with... [the latest fashions, farming trends, present truth].

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Those friggin calendars... "magazine day" for goodness sake... what would any regular person think that meant???

I always laughed at those calendars...Magazine day...EVERY SATURDAY 52 weeks of the year. Memorial marked in once and then everything else is blank. My (good dub) wife puts in all the other days with a highlighter. If she didn't the calender would be a complete waste of paper...

• M.J.
    M.J.

Weird jargon. People are "ones"..."interested ones", "new ones", etc.

Countries are "lands".

Don't forget "happifying".

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

ok funny stuff.... but the most cultish thing, and it may tie in with the reading materials someone suggested....

POST SECONDARY EDUCATION IS FROWNED UPON! AND THEY ACTUALLY HAVE MAGAZINES TELLING US IT"S BECAUSE IT PROMOTES FREEDOM OF THOUGHT!

now thats cultish

the infamous one

• greendawn
    greendawn

Their cultic trait most known to the world outside is their refusal to accept blood even when faced with death for themselves and even worse for their underage children. That is their trademark that marks them out as the WTS cult.

Also automatically expelling members for criticising their leaders or their ideology without any attempt to explain why such criticisms are wrong is another big cultic trait. In fact you get thrown out for merely having made a criticism rather than its actual content.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Some of the terminology would leave non witnesses completely baffled

The anointed remnant, the great crowd, and all the "classes", like they used to
    call the clergy the swine class after the wts had allegedly been appointed as
    the fds in 1919.

All the "arrangements" as well, like the elder arrangement, etc.

• loosie
    loosie
    4. how loud the speakers got near the end of their district convention talks

They were trying to keep us awake.

The whole chaperone thing is cultish if you ask me.

• justsomedude
    justsomedude

# ?: The idea that demons are hiding everywhere... In yard sale purchases, in cartoons, in music, in politics, etc, etc..

# ?+1: The idea that anything written by a former member was in fact false and very, very tricky and twisted. One look at it was all that it would take to pull you away from jeboober and his truthitude. The only course of action that was approved in the event that you were confronted by something written by satan himself, was to plug our ears and run the other direction while reciting the days text LOUDLY to drown out any demons that might try to bore into your brain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit