King Herod's tomb discovered, Israeli university says

by z 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• greendawn
    greendawn

That will have to be seen, in the past on many occasions the claims of secular historians against several biblical stories as being false or mythical proved to be wrong. This may well prove to be the case with Jesus and the apostles.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

As a side remark, it is quite likely that the worms in Acts 12 are a detail from Josephus' account of Herod the Great's death blended into the story of Herod Agrippa I's.

• FireNBandits
    FireNBandits

Wow Mary, that's quite a description and list. Ain't it grand to contemplate the fact that he died and went on to far worse torments that will last forever? I'll bet that sure surprised him! A finite being whose actions have infinite consequences! As good Brother Augustine said, one of the most blest delights of heaven shall consist in viewing the torments of the damned. I want a front row seat. "I can almost smell the ulcerous sores..."

Martin

• heathen
    heathen

I did see on the news they were talking about the same herod that tried to kill jesus as a baby and said he was still in power when rome ruled Israel .So you are saying there are 2 herods?

• z
    z

The Roman Senate appointed Herod "King of the Jews" in approximately 40 BCE.

Herod died in 4 BCE

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

greendawn:

Interesting, I wonder when they will discover something about the ministry of Jesus and the apostles to prove that they were real historical persons contrary to what secular historians believe. There must be something hiding somewhere in Israel.

There's always one! This discovery tells us nothing about Jesus or any other biblical characters, anymore than the discovery of Queen Victoria's burial place would tell us about Sherlock Holmes.

Perhaps you should consider why you believe in the existence of a person for whom no historical evidence can be found.

• Mary
    Mary
    Narkissos said: As a side remark, it is quite likely that the worms in Acts 12 are a detail from Josephus' account of Herod the Great's death blended into the story of Herod Agrippa I's.

You're right Narkissos....I should have included that point. BAR 28:02, Mar/Apr 2002:

"Classicists have argued that we cannot take Josephus’ description of Herod’s final illness at face value since the historian may have been biased against the king. Infection by “worms” is suspicious, for example, because it sounds like poetic justice: Worm-infestation was seen as a fitting end for detested rulers—a monstrous life calling for a miserable death. In hostile descriptions, Antiochus IV Epiphanes (d. 163 B.C.), Sulla (d. 78 B.C.), Agrippa I (d. 44 A.D.) and Galerius (d. 311 A.D.) were all described as dying “worm-eaten.” Could Herod’s ignominious condition have been wishful thinking and not historical reality?"

Whether or not Josephus' description of what happened to Herod is exaggerated or not, it's understandable why Josephus would have thought it was a judgement from God for all the crap Herod had pulled during his reign. I believe he had at least one of his sons murdered plus one of his wives.....actually, when you read the entire account, it almost sounds like he was bi-polar, manic depressive and paranoid Schizophrenia all rolled into one. Not exactly desirable qualities in a ruler with unlimited power.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

BTW, it looks like the tomb does not have Herod's bones. :(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit