Angels

by Nazarene 26 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

an angel rarely appears and if so, carries a specific message from Jehovah and then leaves

My question would be...can you prove, I mean honestly with no question that they are not angels in her apartment? If you only read somewhere that they only come once in a while, that is only from the opinion of the writer.

Basically life and everything we believe is opinions. We can not prove of disprove therories. That's what they are, just therories and feelings.

If they are not causing her to freak out, then I agree with some of the posters here...leave it alone. They may be what she needs to believe in at this moment.

Do I believe she has lots of angels in her apartment? It's possible. I don't believe nor disblieve it.

FF

• Nazarene
    Nazarene

I don't contradict their existence, but if we suppose so then could they not be demons in disguise?

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>I don't contradict their existence, but if we suppose so then could they not be demons in disguise?

Following on FF's comment, it seems that you're just seeing a difference of opinion. Hers (angels) and yours (demons). In either case, they are just unproven and unprovable opinions. She's likely to catch a cold, lose some cash, and have an appliance break down, so you might assume they were demons. But she's also going to win $20 in the lottery, bake a perfect loaf of bread, and finally catch that one episode of Sex in the City that she's kept missing, so she'll conclude they're angels.

You'll only cause conflict between you both if you press this, and surely accomplish nothing good. Just let it go, Man.

Dave

• carla
    carla

Of course you yourself could be a demon in disguise, right? I am troubled by those who choose to always see negative and evil in the unexplainable. Your friend may very well be a few bricks short, but you are here and your own psyche has been tampered with if you were part of the borg (jw). To me it looks like jw's like to be scared by demon stories and have a real fear that demons lurk around every corner just waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting jw. Yes, there may be real evil influences around us, but are there only evil influences? Could there not also be good influences as well?

I believe some exjw's hang on to this irrational fear for quite some time. I say irrational because most jw's will have stories about demons, everything from wind chimes, Smurfs, to not buying antiques or things from rummage sales (and everything inbetween) as they could 'contain' demons of some sort. It is an effective form of mind control though, always keep the members paranoid and looking over their shoulder. Hard way to live though. It's kind of like busy work for the brain keeping a mental talley of what must be accomplished (works) and what and who is out to get you and your beloved organization.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Why is Satan's influence mentioned on the second day of the (JW) study? I agree, carla, there's just far too much credit given to demons by the WTBTS? What of time and unforeseen circumstance? Ecclesiates 9:11

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Nazarene:

Welcome to the board.

could they not be demons in disguise?

Disguise? What disguise? There's nothing there at all. The last thing she needs is somebody telling her that her imaginary friends are really imaginary enemies in disguise.

The line between superstition and mental illness can be a fine one. You and your friend would do well to reflect on which side of that line you are on.

• fairchild
    fairchild

Well once upon a time, now nearly 15 years ago, I had to drive a bus from Las Vegas to NYC. While accessing the highway in Limon Colorado after a night's sleep in a cheap motel, I saw two men hitch hiking. I stopped and picked them up. At first I thought they were together, but after a bit of talking it turned out they just both happened to be standing there, they didn't know one another. I am a woman and not physically strong, and I tend to think about what I've done after my actions rather than thinking before I do something. Just as I was starting to feel uncomfortable with two strange men in my bus, the conversation died down a bit and one of the men went to the back of the bus where he stretched out across the seats to take a nap. The other one reached in his backpack and took out a book. He asked "Do you mind if I read a bit?" I said not at all, go ahead. The book he was reading was the bible. He read for a while and then he too fell asleep. He woke up about an hour later and asked me if I had seen the angels. I asked umm... what angels? He seemed very disappointed that I hadn't seen them. Trying to be careful here I said that I had been concentrating on the road, so if there were angels in the bus I probably wouldn't have noticed. He then told me that he was always surrounded by angels and that some people have seen the angels around him and watching over him while he was sleeping. Long story short, I dropped him off two days later in Indianapolis. He was a nice man, we had many conversations and he seemed perfectly normal to me.

• Nazarene
    Nazarene

Well, as I say the devil can read the Bible, and devil-worshippers say prayers, only to them the Lord is Beezlebub. One of the greatest things I experience in the witness process so far, is they really give you a thorough going over all the Bible topics. Starting from What the Bible Really Teaches, the two counselors frequently ask about your personal opinions on these "iffy" topics. There are a lot of Protestant Churches who will accept membership with less rigor. As a result many develop and harbor wierdly subjective opinions that may go unsurfaced until it is found out that they are serial killers. And angels are far from being mythological.

It is an important issue if a person is going to go about professing to be a minister. It is said somewhere the devil likes to disguise him/herself as being of the light.

I am gong over to the UFO thread now ...thanks for your opinions!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    A certain Bible-reading friend thinks that her apartment is full of angels.

She ought check the terms of her lease. Is there a maximum number of Angels allowed in one apartment?

• daystar
    daystar
    It is said somewhere the devil likes to disguise him/herself as being of the light.

Think about this very, very carefully...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit