How Much Influence Did The Watchtower Have In Destroying Your Faith In God?

by The wanderer 40 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I once felt the same as you in the beginning but continue to feel the same towards people, I now see people as people and not judging them through self righteous eyes, condemning them to death because I feel superiour to them.

I absolutely love people and try and think about what makes them tick, why do they act the way they do, what have they gone through in life and why they react to certain things, fun being people connected and realizing the sincerity in people and not judging them. It is a really great feeling to be people oriented and focused on people instead of religion. It is about love, humility, modesty, sincerity and nothing to do with THINKING you are right and everyone else is wrong.

abr

Such kind and honest responses like the above are the reason so many here, myself very much included, have so much love and respect for you abr. Your humanity is refreshing. I will continue to consider your approach to your Christian faith with an open mind. Your manner does much to make your belief accessible.

Your human brother,

Nvr

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Fortunately, it never succeeeded in destroying my faith In God.

BA

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Such kind and honest responses like the above are the reason so many here, myself very much included, have so much love and respect for you abr. Your humanity is refreshing. I will continue to consider your approach to your Christian faith with an open mind. Your manner does much to make your belief accessible.

Your human brother,

Nvr

That goes for you too Bro A! Love you man!

Nvr

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Likewise, Nvr- and everyone else on this planet!!

Life is great, as you know, here's a familiar reminder:

http://www.marriedtothesea.com/091306/course-of-life.gif

BA- Lovin' life! Whooooooooooot!

• wings
    wings

This is interesting! I am amazed at how many of you say your faith has not been affected by WTS. It has devistated mine. It is hard for me to admit that I let that happen, but I did. I once had a very simple faith that grew in me from reading the bible. I didn't need to know the answer to everything, the things I needed to know just seemed to be there. I was that same innocence,(ignorance) that got me into the mess I'm in today.

Can't trust....anything, least of all myself.

• heathen
    heathen

I often felt during the time of my home bible study that they were destroying my spirituallity but I still contest that there is a God , they can't destroy that , most other religions could contribute to fact that many people turn away altogether to atheism as well. Most of it just seems so hokey and misleading and a drain on your finances. Religious fanatics are a very peculiar lot.

• choosing life
    choosing life

The Watchtower has a huge influence in discrediting God by their teachings. The mean- spirited, petty God they promote is enough to run anyone off. The disappointment and anger felt after finding out much of what they sold you was utter falsehood can lead one to feel the same way about the existence of God.

They have not destroyed my faith in a creator, but rather I am much more careful about assigning great meaning to beliefs and trivial things. I do not need absolute truth, as they see it, and I do not need absolute beliefs.

I do see the divine through nature and people and right now that is sufficient for me.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Can't trust....anything, least of all myself.

You will in time sis! from a little bro. Just keep hanging out here. You'll be ok.

Welcome to JWD wings!

Nvr

• Borgia
    Borgia

Ultimately, it has been the expanation about Gods Blessing and the theory of answering prayers that did the trick.

However, there are a heap of why's that I lost faith in something like a deity. This morning I was at the meeting with wifey. Man, what crap do these people believe. They even had the guts to say that the genocide going on in Dafur was the work of demons. Sure!

Cheers

Borgia

• greendawn
    greendawn

They never destroyed my faith in God because I soon realised that their God was not the real God but one they had painted as being very severe, vindictive and demanding because that's what suited them to control their members through this intimidating ruthless god image.

Their god is not centred around the New Testament as one would expect from a religion calling itself Christian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit