Would you do it for the sake of the kids?

by pratt1 36 Replies latest jw friends

• BFD
    BFD

Solution: Don't go but celebrate his achievement in a different way.

r's hubby

Everyone has made some really good points but I tend to agree w/r's hubby. Great topic, pratt.

BFD

• daystar
    daystar

daystar...I'm with you...I'm not a complete heartless ass...honest

I base my opinion on two things...first of all his wifes take....she's privy to the situation..she supports her hubby, yet is staying away...there's probably a very good reason for this

Secondly, the kid will be getting plenty of support as it is. Pratt1 doesn't attend the KH, so the kid already knows this. It isn't out of place for him to say no at this point. If he says yes, he opens up Pandora's box.

Solution: Don't go but celebrate his achievement in a different way.

r's hubby

Aw, I don't think you're heartless. (In case you can't tell, that's a little joke there.)

1> His wife is a grown woman. She can have her own opinion and stay away, but he can have his as well.

2> How does his going open some sort of a Pandora's Box? I think that's rather reaching. I'm sure the kid will be getting support from the congregation. We all know this. But think about what it will prospectively show him when an inactive, or ex, Witness shows up to support him in his endeavors?

A lot of my opinion on this comes from my own experience with this. My first talk (reading) was when I was seven as well. If I had had even one non-Witness relative, or family friend show up, it would have meant so much to me. And if I had had any non-Witness relative or family friend there and supportive when those cold-hearted elder f*%$ers kicked me to the curb with hardly a hesitation on my first offense ever, I may have fared much better the following years.

Projecting? Sure. But my point is that we should not underestimate even the smallest act of kindness and sincere interest we can show to the youngest of those misled souls.

As to your proposed solution, if attending is just too much to handle, I'd say that that might be a tenable, though not ideal, alternative.

• restrangled
    restrangled

A lot of my opinion on this comes from my own experience with this. My first talk (reading) was when I was seven as well. If I had had even one non-Witness relative, or family friend show up, it would have meant so much to me. And if I had had any non-Witness relative or family friend there and supportive when those cold-hearted elder f*%$ers kicked me to the curb with hardly a hesitation on my first offense ever, I may have fared much better the following years.

Projecting? Sure. But my point is that we should not underestimate even the smallest act of kindness and sincere interest we can show to the youngest of those misled souls.

Compelling daystar...and I don't think that projecting is in itself wrong...I think the situation calls for it..

Is there any possibility that the kid starts to think that he can get Uncle Pratt to regularly come to the KH since he got him there for his 1st talk?

r's hubby

• daystar
    daystar
    Is there any possibility that the kid starts to think that he can get Uncle Pratt to regularly come to the KH since he got him there for his 1st talk?

Sure. And I think that is where Pratt would probably want to stand by his principles of not attending any general meetings.

In any case, Pratt should follow his own conscience in the matter.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Sure. And I think that is where Pratt would probably want to stand by his principles of not attending any general meetings.

In my opinion, this is what makes it a risk not worth taking....Pandora's box

My wife came up with an interesting suggestion. She said "Why not allow the kid to come over and practise his talk in front of Pratt. That way Pratt can help him with his delivery, hear his talk and help him prepare, without actually going."

r's hubby

• daystar
    daystar
    My wife came up with an interesting suggestion. She said "Why not allow the kid to come over and practise his talk in front of Pratt. That way Pratt can help him with his delivery, hear his talk and help him prepare, without actually going."

You know what? That is a great idea. Kudos to Mrs. Restrangled!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My wife came up with an interesting suggestion. She said "Why not allow the kid to come over and practise
    his talk in front of Pratt. That way Pratt can help him with his delivery, hear his talk and help him prepare, without actually going."

Could you hear me moaning out loud? I thought there were enough suggestions here for a decision to
    be made. I was right. This "helping" him would be more approving of the Borg teachings than just
    going for the talk. I think this is a bad idea.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Pratt,

I don't know if you are df'd or da'd (sorry if you told and I have missed that).

If you are not, the immediate risk is of putting the elders on your back; if you are, of putting them on your friend's back for associating with you; in any case, this might be a threat on this precious relationship for the near future.

I'd suggest that you discuss it with your friend (the father), as you are both apparently open on your differences, and perhaps reach a common decision and a common way to explain it to the boy. I guess your friend will appreciate this act of personal loyalty -- as you care for this relationship and do not try to influence his son behind his back...

• Scully
    Scully

If your friend will allow it - and at this point I see no reason why he wouldn't - you could say that there is a possibility that you can't make it to the Kingdom Hall that night, but you would LOVE to hear him do a dress rehearsal, just the two of you.

It's a 4 to 5 minute Bible reading. If your friend allows you to help his son "practice" his Bible reading, it's still supporting him, you still get to tell him he's doing a great job of reading those scriptures with the hard words, and give him a hug afterward. At the same time, you aren't opening yourself up to $h!t stirring from the congregation elders by darkening the door of a Kingdom Hall.

• serendipity
    serendipity

What's more important to you? Support for a person or adhering to principle?

When I have a dilemma, these days I lean toward being there for people. I didn't do that as a JW, sticking to principle instead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit