Science question for essay.

by winnie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• winnie
    winnie
    What class are you writing this for?

can you tell us what exactly the assignment is?

3 year course in ancient history.

The assignment is an essay - Assess the extent to which science has been effective in helping to unlock and preserve the past.

Ozti is one example to use along with one other, I chose the El-Hargasa mummies.

I have spent all night writing the paper, but would like other opinions before I re-write final copy.

Sorry for not explaining - I'm tired.

• Kudra
    Kudra

If you can stand another rewrite I would be game for rereading it... I just had people proofread my 10 page proposal like a zillion times and I would be glad to repay the favor to someone else.

I think that the story of the re calibration of the 14C dating of artifacts in Europe resulting from the radiocarbon dating of the ~10,000 year Bristlecone pine chronology in CA is a neat story and could totally contribute to a paper such as you describe. Archaeologists dated structures and artifacts about a thousand years too late, leading them to think that those specific cultures sprang from the middle east UNTIL the radiocarbon dating method was recalibrated using the Bristlecone pines.

They then understood that many items and locales were around before or concurrent with ancient civilizations in the mid-east- leading to a whole new understanding of how culture and people spread into europe.

It's a neat story and involves cool stuff like Stonehenge...

You can email me your paper if you want another reading...

-K

• Kudra
    Kudra

Here's the South Park episode "Prehistoric Ice Man"!!

http://www.southparkzone.com/episode.php?vid=218

:P

-K

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

scientists have used mitochondrial DNA to trace the families of humans on the earth, they've discovered how we are related, how families moved around the earth over the millenia. To me that is one of the most fascinating things I've read about.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    scientists have used mitochondrial DNA to trace the families of humans on the earth, they've discovered how we are related, how families moved around the earth over the millenia. To me that is one of the most fascinating things I've read about.

Now we're getting somewhere Hortensia!

Such information should serve as the basis for new ways of understanding and interacting with one another.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I read an interesting book about how the ancient city of Ubar in the Arabian peninsula was found using satellite photos to discern ancient roadways that lead to an ancient oasis. Also I read another book about the Taklimakan Mummies. Several scientific disciplines combined to figure out that these European looking mummies found in the Asian desert are linked (via DNA and the fibers they wove) to a group of ancient people in the area of what is now Switzerland. Evidently some of these people migrated eastward toward Asia and others of the same family group wound up in Scotland!

• greendawn
    greendawn

They have found what kind of food he was eating and what sort of parasitic organisms he was suffering from.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit