Science question for essay.

by winnie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• winnie
    winnie

Ozti the ice man. How do you think science has helped to unlock and preserve the past?

Any ideas welcome.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

By applying the scientific method we have learned how to harness the energy contained in fossil fuels. In addition we have also learned through science that the burning of fossil fuels is likely contributing to the warming of the planet which has caused the glaciers to retreat revealing Otzi the iceman!

Seriously though I'd pick something that started as a hypothesis and as our understanding grew we were able to make tools to measure it. Like how our understanding of radioactivity lead to tools for carbon dating.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Science is simply an attempt at unbiased observation of the world around us.

As such, it is invaluable to us for drawing conclusions about the present and the future based on the past.

Nvr

• Kudra
    Kudra

I think that otzi is a GREAT idea- you could talk about the scientific progress this century- the development of radiocarbon dating, how it "rewrote" history in Europe- i.e. using a re-calibrated 14C, artifacts were dated up to 1000 years older, making archaeologists rethink the spread of culture- they originally thought it radiated from the fertile crescent area but now know there was development of culture simlutaneously up in Europe.

Also, there are many things coming out of glaciers that were buried ~3000 - 5000 years ago. From "bulldozed" trees in Canada to vegetation coming out of Quellcaya (sp) Glacier in the tropics.

You could kind of compare and contrast scientific advancement along the lines of what great things we ahve done and also how some technologies are destructive but how other technologies (i.e. dating the Otzi guy) can even capitalize on those...

Hope this makes sense -I have been writing and rewriting some paper all day and can't even spell...

-K

• winnie
    winnie

I'm not much into the science aspect of history, and as such, am finding writing this paper difficult.

Yes science has helped to unlock the past by effective dating etc, and can now adequately preserve without destroying remnants/artifacts/in this case Ozti the ice man, but to what extent, apart from a glimpse of another time, has science been helpful?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    it is invaluable to us for drawing conclusions about the present and the future
  • winnie
    winnie

nvr

what would be your examples?

• Kudra
    Kudra

What class are you writing this for?

can you tell us what exactly the assignment is?

• Kudra
    Kudra

By the way, science isn't actually a THING, science is the METHOD that we think about stuff.

We come up with an idea, think of ways we could test that idea, observe stuff, do experiments and come to a conclusion about whether or not our original hypothesis is supported or not based on our experiments and observations. That's basically what SCIENCE is...

Seems like your topic is waaaay broad. can you narrow it down any?

Look at Thomas Kuhn's book on the nature of scientific revolutions. it shows how our ideas of science change and stuff.

I for get the exact title but an internet search on his name should show some cool info.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

nvr

what would be your examples?

Science, when considered as a cold, rigid structure, does little to illuminate our humanity. When the unbiased observations of science are utilized to connect us to our ancient brethren, we are forced to consider the connection we, the presently living, all undeniably share. In this way, we are enriched and reap benefit from scientific endeavor.

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit