Earthquakes (again!)

by dozy 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dozy
    dozy

It still annoys me that the WTS have never withdrawn their quote about the increased frequency of earthquakes (and this quote was used by several speakers in the recent special talk , unaware that the WTS has changed it’s position on this) , so I emailed the National Geophysical Data Center in Colorado and the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colorado to get their comments.

My email & replies:

Dear Sir / Madam,

The Watchtower Society of Pennsylvania (the corporate arm of Jehovah's Witnesses) have for over twenty years been using the following quote to support their belief that earthquakes have increased since 1914 in fulfillment of bible prophecy. The following quote appears in the latest editions of their books "Reasoning from the Scriptures" and their comprehensive bible encyclopaedia "Insight on the Scriptures". It was also referred to in a special public talk given to over 100,000 congregations to upwards of 15 million people worldwide in April 2007.

Quote: “Since 1914 C.E., there has been an increase in the number of earthquakes, resulting in much distress. With data obtained from the National Geophysical Data Center in Boulder, Colorado, supplemented by a number of standard reference works, a tabulation was made in 1984 that included only earthquakes that measured 7.5 or more on the Richter scale, or that resulted in destruction of five million dollars (U.S.) or more in property, or that caused 100 or more deaths. It was calculated that there had been 856 of such earthquakes during the 2,000 years before 1914. The same tabulation showed that in just 69 years following 1914 there were 605 of such quakes. These statistics are a means of indicating the extent of suffering from earthquakes during this period of history. End of quote

Does the NGDC agree that earthquake data supports this conclusion and are you happy to endorse this claim? If not, can I ask if you made any contact with the Watchtower society to ask them to withdraw or clarify this quotation?

I would be most grateful for your comments , as I am keen to clarify my views on his matter.

.National Earthquake Information Center .. There is absolutely no way to determine the number of earthquakes, of any magnitude, that occurred during the 2,000 years before 1914. If the NGDC database contains a certain number, those are only the earthquakes that happened to be felt and written about in the historical literature. It does not include the much larger number that either occurred in unpopulated areas or were not noted in the existing literature. Going by any meaningful statistics, there is no increase in the frequency of earthquakes. Any increase in damage and casualties can be ascribed to the rapid increase in population and the attendant growth of the built environment.

I would be happy to discuss this with a representative of the Watchtower Society should they wish to contact me.

Sincerely,

USGS/NEIC
    National Geophysical Data Centre To my knowledge, the Watchtower Society has not made contact with us
    here at NGDC to endorse any of their claims.
    These conclusions are strictly those of the Watchtower Society.
    Numerous variables had to be considered in drawing these conclusions -
    variables that are outside the scope of what NGDC does.
    It would be inappropriate scientifically and ethically for us to support
    any such claims.
  • Gill
    Gill

Dozy - HOWEVER, the WTBTS is inspired of God and HE KNOWS!

I hear this from my mother every time there is any report of earthquakes, volcanic eruptions etc. Ask her to prove it, and she'll pull out a Watchtower!!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I also wrote to the USGS a couple of years ago.

For many years I was unable to free myself form WTS indoctrination, believing there was no way to ever prove their doctrine right or wrong. Then one day I was researching earthquakes and the dishonesty contained within the Watchtower instantly freed my mind. It was the shock of seeing blatant dishonesty in the Watchtower that made my mind snap. I have a summary of Watchtower quotes compared with statistics at http://jwfacts.com/index_files/earthquakes.htm

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I just want to say how much I admire you for taking the trouble to email as well. It needs to be done. And they need to publically retract their non founded statement of such misleading info as fact!

• badboy
    badboy

I WONDER HOW MANY WOULD SEE THE KENT EARTHQUAKE AS A SIGN OF THE ENDTIMES.

• Clam
    Clam

Hehe great stuff Dozy. It's nothing but spin. There was an earthquake in the SE of England the other day, 4.5 on the Richter, where all of my JW family live. I've no doubt that they'll be very excited at yet one more sign of the end. If only they looked at the facts and not the BS fed to them by quasi religious spin doctors.

I would be happy to discuss this with a representative of the Watchtower Society should they wish to contact me.

Sincerely,

USGS/NEIC

As if.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

great work dozy

purps

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

Much static on the great channel of communication.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Funnily enough they did publish this in 2002 which seemed to downplay the increase in earthquakes prophecy, but later went back on it in other articles

Awake 2002 March 22

"BEFORE his death, Jesus foretold events and situations that would give evidence that this world had entered "the conclusion of the system of things." That period, he said, would be marked by such things as pestilences, food shortages, and large-scale warfare. He also mentioned "great earthquakes" that would occur "in one place after another." (Matthew 24:3, 7; Luke 21:10, 11) Was Jesus referring to our day?

Many say no. They assert that the number of earthquakes has not substantially increased in recent decades. In fact, the U.S. National Earthquake Information Center reports that earthquakes of 7.0 magnitude and greater remained "fairly constant" throughout the 20th century.

Note, though, that the fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy does not require an increase in the number or power of earthquakes. All Jesus said was that there would be great earthquakes in one place after another. Furthermore, he stated that these events would mark the "beginning of pangs of distress." (Matthew 24:8) Distress is measured, not by the number of earthquakes or how they rate on the Richter scale, but by the effect that they have upon people.

Earthquakes have indeed caused much distress in our day. In fact, during the 20th century, millions have been killed or left homeless by these disasters. Experts say that many of these deaths could have been prevented. "In developing countries," reports BBC News, "building regulations frequently take second place to the demands for cheap, quickly built housing to meet the needs of rapid urbanisation." Commenting on two recent tragedies, Ben Wisner, an expert in urban disasters, states: "It wasn’t earthquakes that killed these people. It was a combination of human error, indifference, corruption, and greed."

You might refer to this thread I started at the weekend too. There are also some good quotes around on the net that say also that there is no recordable increase in earthquakes

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/133475/2376284/post.ashx#2376284

• Marcel
    Marcel

in one of the lastest publications (unfortunately i completely forgot where i read it) the watchtower society tried another approach.

it was said, that the endtimes not necessarily need an INCREASE in earthquakes. jesus said that there WILL BE earthquakes from one place to the other. so since we have earthquakeson earth its fulfilled. additionally the increase in casualties caused by increased population its fulfilled too.

so in wt sight theres no need to cry.

i was annoyed too when on the special talk the old dishonest prove was given AGAIN.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit