What do you know about Unitarian Universalists?

by Good Girl or Bad Girl? 23 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

I attended a UUC for awhile. I could never see what the point of the meetings was. They had real ballroom dancing several times a year. I met some interesting ladies and they weren't hung up on Christian defined sin.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

AK – Jeff,

Is that the same as Biblical Unitarians?

Not quite. The Biblical Unitarians are trying to turn back the clock to the Unitarianism of 150 years ago. Unitarian Universalists continue the centuries-long tradition of religious progressivism which began with rejection of the trinity and rejection of hellfire (that's the Universalist bit) and the application of reason to scripture. It is at the point now where theism is optional – they're mostly about intellectual honesty and the Golden Rule.

When I unjaydubbed, I discovered it was a great place – safe, friendly, free and secure – to recover from a religious breakdown.

I experienced no pressure to convert to anything; one of the things they believe in most passionately is everyone's right to conduct "a free and responsible search for meaning." The Universalist part of their history and philosophy means that for them, salvation isn't even an issue, so why not go wherever your conscience takes you?

I was very happy as a Universalist until I mutated to the point where they weren't weird enough for me ;)

gentlyferal

P.S. – BFD:

Pretty much you can make up your own god as long as it's only One power.
    Well, I've heard a few UU's say that even Trinitarianism isn't the big bad bogey it was 300 years ago. There are even Pagan UU's now – and of course that (usually) means polytheism.

Gretchen956,

Athiests and agnostics are very welcome from what I have seen, and of course they are very welcoming to us in the GLBT community.
    I tell you what, that's actually an understatement. UU's still tend to skew atheist/agnostic, and they also like to joke that "The average UU Sunday School teacher is a lesbian." One of their best and most widely admired ministers is an out gay atheist.
  • Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Good information. I know the JW response to this would be that any who go to such a "church" would be only interested in "having their ears tickled," or hearing what they want to hear.

• nvrgnbk

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit