What do you know about Unitarian Universalists?

by Good Girl or Bad Girl? 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Thank you for all the responses! This information is very greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for a Christian church or necessarily any church. I'm looking to educate myself, first and foremost. It IS hard to come from the JW community and then have no community. Right or wrong, crazy or sane, they were people, they were friends.

Not the kind of friends that stick around through good and bad, come what may, but "friends" nonetheless. (I say this tongue-in-cheek. Y'all know what I mean.)

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Oh, and locally, they recently had a talk on atheism, pro-atheism, discrediting God in a scientific manner. Now that is a church I like. It sounds like a reasonable one that will discuss all topics!

The truth will always prevail, right? That's one thing I dislike about the Witnesses; they are afraid of discussing certain topics as if that will cloud the truth. (P.S. I'm not looking for one truth, either. I don't think there is one truth.)

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.uua.org/

There is quite a variety of beliefs, some don't adhere to Christianity.

http://www.uua.org/visitors/index.shtml

There are two major groups in this area.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Oh, and locally, they recently had a talk on atheism, pro-atheism, discrediting God in a scientific manner. Now that is a church I like. It sounds like a reasonable one that will discuss all topics!

Yea, I was raised UU and remember the book we studied in church school around 4th grade....Inherit the Wind.

Church camp in 7th and 8th grade consisted of heavy duty making out nightly around the campfire while the adult counselers did who knows what.

The good news is that you can go and believe whatever you want...the reality check is that because of this you are also probably going to hear about just about anything. As others have stated, the churches vary from liberal to ultra liberalm so visit a couple to get a real taste of it. My mom is proud to point out when she visits us here in Orlando, that the local UU minister is a lesbian. I think it would be fair to say that a UU church is the polar opposite of the KH.

r's worldly hubby

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Thanks, RR's worldy hubby! Haha, you should be proud of the label worldly!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I suggest that the best community to be a part of is humanity itself. If we seek to embrace and love all of our human brothers and sisters, attempting to understand those who share different views and codes, every new encounter holds the potential to enrich and illuminate.

Nvr

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

AMEN, Brotha Nvrgnbk!

How does one do this?

• jukief
    jukief

I joined my local UU church about 12 years ago. Moved away, came back, and joined again. But I hardly ever go to services. That's the beauty of it! The minister at our church is really fabulous, and he's the biggest draw for me. The very first time I went, his sermon was a mock debate in which he played both characters. The subject of the debate was whether UUism was a relevant religion for the 1990s. After much hilarious back and forth, he turned to the audience and told us that the whole debate was moot because UUism isn't even a religion. Cracked me up, and sold me on the church--and him. I like the whole idea of UUism. The local church here is very liberal, considering how conservative the town is. There's probably an equal mix of people who believe in god and people who don't. Lots of gay families and couples. Lots of university professors (this is a university town--CSU). Lots of community involvement. The only reason I don't go is because I'm too damned lazy to get up on Sunday mornings and go to church. I'd rather be out riding my motorcle or lazing around the house. When I do go, though, I come away feeling very refreshed.

• jukief
    jukief

Oh, I wanted to add this: My children were already grown when I found the UUs, but I really liked their childhood education program. I wished at the time that I'd found it earlier, while the boys were still little. And our local UU church has a lot of adult education classes that are really good--much better than what is taught through the local parks and recreation department. I think we benefit from having a lot of educated people in this town and in the local church, so the classes are quite interesting.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

AMEN, Brotha Nvrgnbk!

How does one do this?

The answer lies within your heart GGorBG!

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit