Language has Gone Downhill in the Society

by dubla 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    do you think theyd go to that much trouble to save others from the borg though?

Depending on how badly they were hurt by the borg themselves? Sure. I think it's quite POSSIBLE!

Andi

• Amazing
    Amazing

Use of vulgar or crass language is not new among JWs, and I don't think it is any better or worse than it always been. I have known Elders, PO's, MS's, Pioneers to use more than a few bad words and crass language. I have used a few myslef while a JW. Maybe some JWs feel more free to use such with those they believe are 'apostate' but I think that in all likelihood it is just an individual thing. - Amazing

• dubla
    dubla

amazing-

i suppose many jws do use vulgar language, but they claim to be the cleanest and purest of all the religions. they claim to be "no part of this world", and i know that foul language is specifically reprimanded, and some are even punished for it(responsibilities taken away, etc). but they probably all do it behind closed doors, just as nytel does it on the internet (his own little closed door). this is just further reinforcement of the idea that jws are actually the most hypocritical of all religions, even though they claim to be the least.

aa

• joelbear
    joelbear

I tend to agree with Andi,

I doubt that Fred, You Know or NYT are active witnesses. I also figured they must be anti-Watchtower and just working it from an odd angle.

Its interesting what possibilities internet correspondence can lead to.

Joel

• AlanF
    AlanF

It's been my experience that plenty of JWs will use vulgar or unnecessarily coarse language, in the 'right' company. Rutherford certainly did, and certain recent GB members are known for it. I don't personally care much about such use, but as various posters have pointed out, the hypocrisy of certain JWs comes to the fore here.

I think that oddballs like Fredhall and nytelecom are fringe JWs, but still very much JWs in spirit. Why else would anyone spend years trying to jerk the chains of critics? I think that people like Fredhall or You Know have to be slightly insane to keep it up for so long. Nytelecom hasn't been at it too long, so I don't think he's just a chain-jerker. My impression is that he's got severe personality problems that prevent him from being a good JW and cause him trouble in his congregation. These same personality problems cause him to ride the fence, and then to strike out violently at anyone who tells him he's on the fence. Hypocrites and people who are suffering from severe cognitive dissonance detest when their inconsistencies are pointed out.

AlanF

• JBean
    JBean

Personally, I've basically stopped all association with the "friends" in the congregation because of their attitudes of "we can do what we want, we're baptized JW's"... their language at times has been attrocious! I have "worldly" friends who have cleaner mouths... and when they don't, they don't feel they're "covered" by their religion!

• dubla
    dubla
    Nytelecom hasn't been at it too long, so I don't think he's just a chain-jerker. My impression is that he's got severe personality problems that prevent him from being a good JW and cause him trouble in his congregation. These same personality problems cause him to ride the fence, and then to strike out violently at anyone who tells him he's on the fence.

yep.

aa

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

IMHO, JW's don't know how to use foul language circumspectly, there's little experience of it (especially if home-taught ).
    It's the whole "released spring" thing.
    Once the cork is out of the bottle, the excitement leads the emotions on to releasing a whole pile of frustrations, and it aint pretty.

I'm mixing my metaphors, but I think you probably catch my drift.
    At least, that was my experience, growing up.

Anybody know if NY is any older than say 22 - 24 ?

LT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit