JEHOVAH IS AN EGYPTIAN GOD;ANYONE READ THIS BOOK?

by badboy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

I WONDER WHAT IT HAS TO SAY?

ANY IDEAS?

• needproof
    needproof

AND THIS IS WHY CHRISTIANS END PRAYERS BY SAYING AMEN - AFTER AMEN-RA

• Gill
    Gill

Not surprising since the Haribou, the wandering peoples of Canaan, did infact rule Egypt (badly) for several hundred years and divided the Kingdom for a while, and were very into black magic. Hardly surprising they had a very bad tempered and jealous God.

They went against the original Egyptian 'Maat' or fairness and justice and the Egyptians were glad to see the back of them.

Tell me more about the book if you've had a chance to read it yet. I suspect that history is far more complicated and interesting than anything we have ever been led to believe by our 'Christian' upbringings.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I have read the work of the leading scholars in the origins of Yahwism and the title of Dohoney's book alone tells me that he is not a scholar and stands outside the mainstream of scholarly research. I would suggest that it is better to read Albright, Cross, John Day, Mark S. Smith, and others on the subject.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>AND THIS IS WHY CHRISTIANS END PRAYERS BY SAYING AMEN - AFTER AMEN-RA

I couldn't find any reference tying these two ideas together. Do you have a reference for this?

Dave

• needproof
    needproof

Well, that is something I read in a book sometime ago. I found this link http://www.touregypt.net/amen.htm

It would make sense that the Hebrews adopted this from the Egyptians after learning about the great Egyptian culture, just as they had stole the idea of the Ark of the Covenant from Egypt's Ark of the contract

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The ark of the covenant may indeed reflect Egyptian influence, which should not be surprising since the Egyptians ruled over Canaan for many generations. The main point however concerns whether Yahweh per se is an Egyptian god, and I know of no evidence that such is the case. Rather, Yahweh incorporates features of the Canaanite deities Baal and El. While some Canaanite gods were later syncretistic with Egyptian gods (cf. the cases of Resheph and Anat), I know of no such evidence pertaining to Yahweh. Ianone once spouted here some nonsense about Yahweh being an Egyptian moon god, which is about as far off the mark as one could get.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

"The ark of the covenant may indeed reflect Egyptian influence, which should not be surprising since the Egyptians ruled over Canaan for many generations."

So I am guessing I am not the only one questioning the 'inspiration' of those old guys who claimed God told them how to do things. . .unless....do you think that Jehovah God really really admired the style of the Egyptian sex arks?

• Gerard
    Gerard

Actually, Mr. Smith -the founder of the Mormons- claims that God gave him gold tablets with stamped text. He said the writting was in ancient Egyptian...which he translated, of course, by using a divination stone inside a hat (I kid you not).

G

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

needproof,

Unless I missed something, the page you linked to doesn't claim that the divine name Amen/Amon is related to the Semitic root 'mn (from which the Biblical "amen" obviously derives), although the late (Ptolemaic) folk etymology ascribing it the notion of "permanence" might allow for some secondary connection. One possible Biblical exception (where an allusion to Amen/Amon has been argued for) is the (equally late) description of Wisdom as a "master worker" ('amôn) in Proverbs 8:30...

As for the ark, a number of possible influences have been suggested besides the Egyptian; for instance, there is evidence for similar "sacred chests" with an oracular function in preislamic Arabian nomadic tribes (Lipinski). Btw the Hebrew word 'arôn is not limited to the ark of the covenant, it can apply to other boxes, e.g. a coffin (Genesis 50:26) or a chest for money offerings (2 Kings 12:10f // 2 Chronicles 24:8ff).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit