Star Wars Expanded Universe

by Chameleon 18 Replies latest social entertainment

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

It doesn't end with the movies.

Which books, comics, video games, etc., are your favorites?

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction was ok, even though the last chapters were covered in Dark Horse comics.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I enjoyed playing the Jedi Knights' "Jedi Outcast" and "Jedi Academy" for the PS. Never got a chance to play "Dark Forces II," but I heard it was good. I used to play Rogue Squadron to death and Episode I Racer from time to time, both for the 64. On the Xbox, I loved KotOR--loved, loved, loved that game. KotOR II had some nice ideas, but was plagued by a lame plot and bugs aplenty.

I never really got into the books, except for the Han Solo Trilogy. I think I read "Dark Sabre," which was about a Hutt-built Death Star. Not very memorable.

Every so often I get on a Star Wars jag and I have to read every little detail about the expanded universe.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'm afraid I haven't read any. But I recall seeing a Han Solo book back in 1979 at the house of a Witness family that babysat me and my sister. Funny I remember that of all the things to remember from third grade.

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

I never knew those were on PS; I only played the PC versions.

KotOR was great; II had better gameplay, but the ending was unfulfilling.

I know the books are harder to get into, but there are some very good ones out there. Check out the Thrawn trilogy, for example.

The comics are way easier to get into; the Clone Wars comics are better than Attack of the Clones.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Thy're dated, but Timothy Zanes series that take place right after Jedi, were good.

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

Leolaia: I know of some Han Solo books from 1979, but I haven't read them.

free2beme: Yes, that would be the Thrawn trilogy.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I thought it was good, and many of the video games (Like Tie Fighter), pulled from it. I personally, felt they would have made for some good movies. The biggest problem with the Star Wars series, vrs Star Trek, is that early on they did not take 100% control of the time line and allowed some really off the wall stories to be written. Case in point, "Splinter in the minds eye." A boring and totally off base book, that did not work into the Star Wars story. Too bad really, as a fan of Sci Fi, I appreciate, creator control.

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

I haven't read it; what was so bad about it?

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

A friend of mine a few years back got me into the extended Star Wars books, I hadn't even realized they existed until then. I forget the name of the series, but it was the one about Grand Admiral Thrawn, I think. The guy who could whoop you 10 ways from Sunday after studying your culture's artwork. Anyway, I got miffed and lost interest when the author killed off Chewie.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

like freetobe said anything by timothy zahn is great. I could not get into that new jedi order with the yuzog vahn(or whatever they were called.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit