The prodical son-Who do the Witness resemble?

by avidbiblereader 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Funny now that I read the Bible without any man made ideas, this thought hit me in Luke 15:20-24, Remember this is one of the basis for "Reinstatement" into the "Christian congregation". Is the year basis of coming back after attending weekly meetings really neccassary? Also note that Paul most likely written both 1st and 2nd Corithians within a year span. There simply is no basis for attending a year, coming back and meeting with the elders "again" to rehash old sins, be humiliated, embarrassed. Ironically when the repentant son returned the Father never even mentioned his son's sins, didn't do anything but accept with total forgiveness, not a word mentioned but to celebrate his sons return, Notice verses 22-24

20 “So he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him. 21 His son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against both heaven and you, and I am no longer worthy of being called your son. 22 “But his father said to the servants, ‘Quick! Bring the finest robe in the house and put it on him. Get a ring for his finger and sandals for his feet. 23 And kill the calf we have been fattening. We must celebrate with a feast, 24 for this son of mine was dead and has now returned to life. He was lost, but now he is found.’ So the party began.

However notice the older son who wanted to make it an issue, in veses 28-30 28 “The older brother was angry and wouldn’t go in. His father came out and begged him, 29 but he replied, ‘All these years I’ve slaved for you and never once refused to do a single thing you told me to. And in all that time you never gave me even one young goat for a feast with my friends. 30 Yet when this son of yours comes back after squandering your money on prostitutes, you celebrate by killing the fattened calf!’

Who do the wtinesses resemble, the loving Father who wouldn't make mention of his son's sins or the older son, who wanted to make it an issue on his brothers return? Why can't they just stick to the scriptures instead of setting themselves up as judges?

Respectfully

abr

• mann377
    mann377

If they (WTBS) didn't set themselves as judges then they would lose control. And as we all know: the control bone is connected money bone wich is connected to the ego bone!

• jambon1
    jambon1

Had this exact conversation with a JW.

She simply said; the son who came back was repentant. People are not d/f`d if they are repentant.

They have an answer for EVERYTHING!

But yes, in my opinion, they are all like the hard hearted brother.

Just a shame that they can't see it!

J

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader
    People are not d/f`d if they are repentant.

Now they can read hearts too, I guess everyone they reinstate is repentant? What about the many who only go back for family and not becasue they believe one word they say.

yes they are like the cold hearted brother and not like the Father who is willing to forgive.

abr

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Funny now that I read the Bible without any man made ideas,

You get a whole different experience, don't you? When I first left the org, it was difficult for me to pray or read the Bible. But over time, I began again and realized that I probably had needed that down time in order to get the faulty program out of my brain and study the Bible with a blank slate so to speak. My prayers were more personal and heartfelt rather than rote and that, too, was a different experience.

This story of the prodigal son was one of those accounts that spoke differently for me, too. When you are free of the heart chains of the Society, God seems to open your heart to deeper meaning on a more personal level. I had never experienced that when reading the Scriptures as a JW. It was always colored by some preconceived doctrinal viewpoint. I began to appreciate God and His word on a more personal spiritual level and the journey began to actually get interesting because now I search for Him like hidden treasure, and every now and then He gives me a glimpse.

• juni
    juni

This is so obvious a 3 to 4 year old child could answer correctly.

This always bothered me about the Witnesses. A prime example of their hoop jumping.

Juni

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Of the two choices: the ready-to-forgive Father as opposed to the spiteful and jealous brother----the WTS reflects the brother. We are NOT told of the neighbors along the road he was travelling---the ones that stood with their noses in the air and their hands on their hips clucking their tongues in utter disapproval of the son that was returning home.

Whether or not the individual JWs treat the "returning ones" home to the Kingdom Halls.....we cannot judge them for their behavior as they are taught to act this way.....(and think they are pleasing God while doing it)....but they do NOT throw their arms around the repentent ones, or offer a kiss of welcome....but are not allowed to make simple eye contact and being made to act as if they are not even in the same room with one another. The JWs have to WAIT until the elders decide that one is repentent enough!

We don't find ANY of this behavior indicated in the bible! We do not SEE where repentent ones are expected to grovel and be treated as lesser citizens. BUT----this is precisely what the WTS does, as a demonstration for the other JW onlookers to see what will happen to THEM if they do not toe the mark as set down BY the WTS!

We can't tell what persons in the bible are like the JWs, (especially in the account of the Prodigal Son)....because there ARE no examples of these acts and behaviors!

• zack
    zack

They are like the other brother, hard and resentful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit