Diane Wilson~~~ex-JW

by purplesofa 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

published in Psychology Today~~~here is a small bit from the article

http://www.dianewilson.net/disc.htm

As desperate as I was to be convinced that the Society would have no effect on my destiny, at some level I still believed it was God's channel and that my life hinged on obedience to it. Unable to separate myself from the organization, the rage I felt with it turned back onto myself. One day I cried out to my therapist, "I fear this religion is the truth, and that I'm just wicked for being unable to accept it anymore!" I kept telling myself, "You're going to die!" There was no escaping the nagging fear that my disagreements with the Society would cause Jehovah to have nothing to do with me until He killed me at Armageddon. Feeling my pain, my therapist acknowledged, "It sounds like you're just really being tortured by this."

Indeed, I was in anguish. Being in the organization had come to feel like I was locked in a room that had no windows and was surrounded on the outside by blackness and death. If I stayed in the room, I felt I would suffocate, for the organization gave no space to breathe and had no capacity to admit its errors or allow its members freedom of conscience to have their own opinions. If I left the room, I felt I would die, for the Society had implanted in its members the phobia that certain death lay outside of it. "The organization, the place I once ran to for safety, is sucking me under!" I bewailed to my therapist. "They can take away my family!"

I have spent a good part of my afternoon reading her site .....about her life and her life as a JW. She explains herself so well, her feelings, thoughts, torments, I can't wait to read her book.

Has anyone read her book?

AWAKENING OF A JEHOVAH'S WITNESS:
    Escape From the Watchtower Society

alt

I emailed her today.........I dont know why it felt so liberating to do it, but it did.

purps

edited to add:

A review of the book

A SPIRITUAL THRILLER!

Diane Wilson, former long-time member of the Watchtower organization, has written a veritable "spiritual thriller", describing her dramatic journey to psychological freedom. She explores with frankness and passion her unfortunate servitude to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, an organization which views itself as the sole possessor of all religious truth.

The fascinated reader will be swept along emotionally as Diane details her odyssey to freedom from what most former Jehovah’s Witnesses describe as a mind-control cult. Diane spells out her initial vulnerability to the unique claims of the Watchtower Society and her fierce struggle to disengage herself from such powerfully persuasive people; in short, she reveals the dark side of Watchtower worship.

As a former high-ranking member of the Watchtower Society, I can personally vouch for the veracity of her analysis of Watchtower methods and policies. In my twenty-two years as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, I had attained the position of “Traveling Overseer” both in the United States and Brazil. I am a graduate of the Watchtower Bible School, “Gilead”, and have spent tens of thousands of hours attending meetings, studying their literature, going from door-to-door with the Watchtower message, and giving sermons in hundreds of Kingdom Halls (Witness churches). Diane’s description of life in the Watchtower Society is painfully accurate. If the reader has friends or neighbors or loved ones in that Organization, Diane’s moving autobiography will poignantly underscore the tragic position these individuals are in. The reader will put down Diane’s book (and I’m sure most will read it in a single sitting) with a greatly enlarged understanding of what life in the Watchtower cult is all about. And, perhaps more importantly, with deeper sympathy for those unfortunate people known as Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Donald Nelson
    Former Watchtower missionary in Brazil
  • purplesofa
    purplesofa

Put this under wrong topic

wonder if a mod can change it

purps

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I moved it inot Beliefs and Practises

I have the book and encourage all female ex-JWs to read it -EXCELLENT

• ninja
    ninja

I read it....typical moaning woman if you ask me.......I'm kidding ladies......he he

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

I would feel guilty selling it for money...it would alienate those who have little money like myself...and puts her motives and intentions into question imo.

I am just too wary perhaps....

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I would feel guilty selling it for money...it would alienate those who have little money like myself...and puts her motives and intentions into question imo.

I am just too wary perhaps....

To The Dragon:

When you have read all that she has to say at the site I posted,Could you please give me your opinion of what is her motives and intentions? It's FREE!

Thanks in advance,

purps

• Gregor
    Gregor

She has invested her whole life in this story as well as who knows how many hours writing it. If her insights can resonate with others it will help a lot of people. In other words, her book has value. What's wrong with paying for it? Surely you're not saying that the subject matter is too sacred to be sold?

On this subject matter "Crisis of Conscience" is probably the most successful book of all time. It has helped thousands in a very tangible way. Ray Franz didn't get rich from it, nor was he trying to.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Thanks Gregor for you comment.

I appreciate it very much.

purps

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Quite a few people have written books about the WTS and/or the personal experience as a JW.

Many have gone through hell and back during their time as JWs. They have lost out on an their families, their relationdhip to God. and their education as well as a career. Many will suffer from retirement savings or funds. They deserve a bit back.

Turning their stories into books that others will find in a book store is another way for ex-JWs to reach people who don't have computers. If just one person picks up and reads this book and reconsiders their relationship with the WTS then it is good thing

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Just to respond - I've nearly finished reading this book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit