TV Shows...which ones didn't you get to watch?

by TheCoolerKing 27 Replies latest jw friends

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

What TV shows didn't you get to watch when you were a JW? Either because you had to attend one of the five meetings a week or had to go out in Field Service on the weekend?

I remember being pissed off as a kid every Saturday morning, because we always had to go out in Field Service. I would miss all the Saturday morning cartoons! It really sucked then too because those were the days before VCRs, tapes, DVRs and all those awesome recording gadgets that we have today!

Ok, I'm probably dating myself, but who else remembers "Schoolhouse Rock"? I hated missing those growing up. And what about all those fun cop shows that we missed during the week because of the book study or service meetings!

TCK

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In the UK the one and only must-see pop music show was "Top of the Pops" .. In my young days when they featured the stuff I was really into, it was always on a Thursday night. This was before the days of VCR's (man that dates me!)

A whole generation of J W kids rued that ..

• Amazing
    Amazing

I was not raised a JW, but became one at age 19. So, when my own children came along, starting in 1972 onward, we did not really restrict TV watching because we never had cable ... and the "dirty" channels were not available.

When VCRs came along we recorded shows. And eventually we got basic cable, which was good enough. We still did not restict shows, but we were more balanced JWs, in my opinion. I am sure that my kids managed to watch shows that I might not have approved ... but I never made an issue out of entertainment with them. Less frustration comes by just living what you thinkk is right and let your children observe and share in your lifestyle ... then when they grown up, they will set their own level of values ... but they will tend to live a similar life.

Currently, my children are grown and God only knows what they watch. But they are good, college educated citizens ... and they are Christian ... so, my wife and I must have done something right.

Jim Whitney

• brinjen
    brinjen

In Australia, we had 'Rage' on Saturday mornings (music videos). Lots of cool action shows on meeting night that I never saw. My JW grandmother was very strict about cartoons as well " if you believe in that, you may as well believe in Father Christmas". I now watch The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, Happy Tree Friends I could go on. The more sick and perverse, the better!

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing
    I now watch The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, Happy Tree Friends I could go on. The more sick and perverse, the better!

Isn't freedom a wonderful feeling brinjen?! LOL

• brinjen
    brinjen

Isn't freedom a wonderful feeling brinjen?! LOL

Oooooh yeah!!!!

• horrible life
    horrible life

We had our Sunday meeting, in the evening. I missed 'The Wonderful World of Disney". I would fake being sick, if I really wanted to watch something. It would all be planned out. Start out early Sunday morning, or even the night before. Felt great to go to school Monday morning.

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

I remember too, especially during the Watchtower studies, how the WTS used to tell everyone that they shouldnt watch violent TV shows or movies.

hmmm, anybody else remember the violent pictures in "My Book of Bible Stories"??? They scared the hell out of me as a kid!!!

• BrentR
    BrentR

Aside from the ones that were on during meeting nights my mom would not lets us watch others due to content.

Flintstones - Promotes evolution

The Munsters - occult

Tha Adams Family - occult

The Outer limits - ocult

The twighlight zone -occult

The Loveboat - Immorality'

Fantasy Island - Immorality

Bewitched

Love American style

Star Trek (that really pissed me off)

The list goes on and on. At least there is TV Land so I can watch all those shows and reclaim a little bit of my twisted over sheltered childhood.

Anytime there was a magic show at school I had to miss it. To this day my mom still thinks it's demonism. Never mind how many magicians and illusionists have been on TV explaing the science and psychology of it.

The list of what I can't stand about the JW's is very long but thier ignorance is very close to the top.

• FourMs
    FourMs

It wasn’t so much for the meetings that we missed our favorite shows, but there were lots that we were not even allowed to watch. Here’s a few that I can think of off the top of my head:
    A-team
    Three’s company
    Dallas
    Miami vice
    WWF
    Love Boat
    Scooby Doo
    Highway to Heaven
    WKRP in Cincinnati

Anyways, those are just a few when we were kids that it was a big no no to watch those… It’s funny to think of that because even while I was still an active JW, I always let my kids watch whatever they wanted unless it’s terribly violent, but how bad can it be for kids that are 4 and 6?

Recently, before I left the org, shows like Soprano’s and Medium were also shows you dare not watch. Now they are 2 of my favorite.

FourMs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit