1894 A Conspiracy Exposed

by Lady Lee 56 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

From "Jehovah's Witnesses--Proclaimers of God's Kingdom," page 627:

"Special letters to the Bible Students in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, invited them to a meeting on April 5, 1894. Brother and Sister Russell were not invited and did not attend, but about 40 others were present. The letter, signed by E. Bryan, S.D. Rogers, J.B. Adamson, and O. von Zech, said that the meeting would involve things concerning their 'highest welfare.' It turned out to be a malicious effort on the part of these conspirators to poison the minds of others by divulging what they surmised to be evil in Brother Russell's business affairs (though the facts were to the contrary), by arguing that Brother Russell had too much authority (which they wanted for themselves), and by complaining because he favored use of the printed page to spread the gospel and Bible-class meetings instead of only giving discourses (in which they might more readily expound personal views). The congregation was greatly disturbed by what occurred, and many were stumbled. But those who turned aside did not as a result become more spiritual persons or more zealous in the Lord's work."

It's interesting to note that some 40 were present at this meeting and we are told "many were stumbled" in the congregation, where the Bible Students had their origins!

Sorry, Leo, I had overlooked your previous quote from the Proclaimers book!

I also think you meant to say the June 1, 1894, No. 11 W.T., rather than June 11. Anyway, at the end, are numerous letters written in support of C.T. Russell, one, interestingly, from C.H. Conley, the first President of Zion's Watch Tower Tract Society.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I understand that Rose Ball married Henninges, who is also mentioned in "Conspiracy Exposed".

Russell sent them to Australia, but they formed their own movement in Melbourne.

I have photocopies of title pages from some of their books, which are (were?) held in the Public Library here in Melbourne.

Doug

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Doug

My jaw has just hit the floor

I understand that Rose Ball married Henninges, who is also mentioned in "Conspiracy Exposed".
    Russell sent them to Australia, but they formed their own movement in Melbourne.

I have photocopies of title pages from some of their books, which are (were?) held in the Public Library here in Melbourne.

A while back we had a huge long discussion about the whole Russell & Rose incident. Other than she had married Hennings and they moved to Australia we knew nothing about her. And a few of our great researchers were trying to get info on what happened to them.

Anything you can contributre to that would be fabulous - perhaps in a new thread

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Indeed, according to Wrobel, Henninges was a missionary evangelizing in Germany at the time of the Zech affair, and he was recalled back to the U. S. to help contain the situation. I would suspect that he wouldn't have gotten together with Rose Ball if the incident with Zech hadn't occurred. And as I mentioned before, it was in the context of the Zech affair that Maria Russell came up with the "new understanding" of the F&DS that was the point of departure for the later Watchtower F&DS teaching.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There is a strange link btw between Rose Ball and Bonnie Boyd. Both were personal secretaries of the Watchtower president. In the case of Rose, Rutherford lied about her age to dispel rumors of sexual impropriety. In the case of Bonnie, she was closely linked with Rutherford (and possibily there were rumors about her and Rutherford) and she lied continuously -- even to government authorities -- about her age. I wonder if Bonnie's deception about her age was suggested to her by Rutherford who had prior experience in this matter.

• RR
    RR

Von Zech eventually broke away from the Watchtower and started his own movement, he actually formed a commune in PA, where he believed he was a special Messenger to the Lord's people.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It is utterly amazing how much info can be found in some of these old documents and how some things are weaving a very interesting story - one which few if any JWs, would guess or believe even if all the evidence was presented to them

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Not much, but I've got the WWI draft card of Otto von Zech, Jr. (born in 26 January 1885), and it mentions no exceptions along the lines of those found in Millenial Dawnist cards (such as the one for Frederick Franz or the one for August H. Balko), and it notes that Otto Jr. worked in 1918 as a soapmaker at Fells Soap Co. in Philadelphia. Also looks like Otto Sr. and Mary Mathilda got married on 8 July 1875. That's about all I can find. Looks like Otto Sr. disappeared for good after 1907, as I cannot find any later info on him.

RR....I'd love to have any extra info on this if you happen to have any. It is interesting how Otto Sr. compared his experience to that of Apostle Paul when Jesus appeared to him on the Damascus Road.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Wow Lee and Leo, thanks for all that fine information. I think if people that are studing with the JWs should be shown this information.

See the difference with the JWs and other religious organizations, their history is well known. like the crusades, the sexual misconduct of the clergy the inquistion but JWs just like to have their history hidden and don't want the new bible studies to know about their dark side. Oh sure they do mention things about their history but it is only the stuff they want people to know. They dont' want to make themselves look quilty.

Well what ever is hidden is exposed sooner or later and in the case with the JW is the later.

I am grateful for your research and appreciate your downloads. I know it takes alot of work and it shows how deeply motivated you are to help people learn the lies that are part of their very foundation.

Good work , Thanks

orangefatacat

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

An Unfinished Mystery—Who constituted the Governing Body in 1884?

Zion’s Watch Tower Tract Society was granted a legal charter on December 13, 1884. Two days later, on December 15, 1884 this charter was recorded in the State of Pennsylvania, County of Allegheny.

The WTS asserts the corporate Board of Directors of Zion’s Watch Tower “served as a central Governing Body, overseeing the global preaching of God’s Kingdom.”(1) So who constituted this initial “Governing Body”?

In the April 25, 1894 Extra Edition journal issue of Zion’s Watch Tower, Charles Russell presents what he calls a copy of the charter granted on December 13, 1884. This copy presents the names of seven Directors:

Charles T. Russell, President
    Henry Weber, Vice President
    Maria F. Russell, Sec’y Treas.
    W. C. McMillan
    J. B. Adamson
    Simon O. Blunden
    Rose J. Ball

However, the January, 1885 journal issue of Zion’s Watch Tower reports only six Board members of the charter granted on December 13, 1884, and these names are not in agreement with those lists in 1894:

C. T. Russell, Pres.
    M. F. Russell, Sec. Treas.
    W. C. McMillan
    W. I. Mann, Vice Pres.
    J. B. Adamson
    J. F. Smith

Mystifying this even more, a duly verified copy of the charter recorded on December 15, 1884 lists the following as the Board of Directors:

Charles T. Russell
    William Mann
    Maria Russell
    Wm. C. McMillan
    Simon O. Blunden
    J. B. Adamson
    Joseph F. Smith

A comparison of these three lists of Directors shows significant differences. The earliest Watchtower presentation of these directors (January 1885) lists only six Directors whereas the recorded charter lists seven Directors, and the charter says there are seven Directors. So why this difference?

Then in 1894 when Russell is defending himself from allegations of wrongdoing, he presents what he says is a copy of the charter granted in December 13, 1884, and the Directors listed therein shows Rose Ball and Henry Weber as Directors and it does not list William Mann or Joseph Smith.

In the February 1, 1904 journal issue of Zion’s Watch Tower presents a eulogy acknowledging Henry Weber as Vice President.

So who constituted the “Governing Body” in 1884? Did this “Governing Body” include two women, or just one? Did it included Henry Weber, or not? Did it included Simon Blunden, or not?

Marvin Shilmer

1. The Watchtower, Feb 1, 1999 p 17

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit