1894 A Conspiracy Exposed

by Lady Lee 56 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

What I have in front of me is actually 3 articles combined in the Special Edition.A Conspiracy Exposed is the first article and goes from page 1 to page 88.

The second article is Harvest Sifting: Perils Among False Prophets which starts on page 89 and goes to page 92.

The third article Harvest Gathering and Siftings:A Brief sketch of the Development of Present Truth starts on page 92 immediately following part 2 and it finishes on page 101.

Oops I just found one more article Sifting the Wheat which starts immediately after the previous article on page 101 and goes to page 119. Then there is a short Concluding Word. The link that VM44 may have all the parts intact. If they aren't there I would be willing to scan the other sections.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Leo

Those are some of the questions I have been asking myself. So far I have found nothing to indicate why the title was changed or what the differences were between all the different versions.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ah, very interesting! I checked with the Chicago Bible Students publication and see that these articles follow the "Conspiracy Exposed" article. Do you have PDFs of those as well, they contain some very interesting statements, including Russell's claim to be God's mouthpiece and his own account of how he broke company with the Second Adventists, including Barbour, Storrs, Paton, etc.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

According to the 1 January 1892 Watchtower, Otto von Zech had translated the then-existing volumes of Millennial Dawn into German and even owned the printing plates, so Russell had to refer all German orders of the Dawn to Mr. Zech. So this probably meant that Russell lost the ability to have a German translation of his works in the schism, at least for the short term, and it would be interesting to see if later German versions of his works were based on Zech's translation or if they were a new translation altogether. Another interesting point is that Zech also printed his own semi-monthly paper The Harvest Sickle (the actual title presumably in German), which likely did present Zech's side of the story during the dispute itself. I have to wonder how long Zech continued to publish The Harvest Sickle afterwards.

Edit. I just found some info on this in the following article by Johannes Wrobel:

http://www.jwhistory.net/text/wrobel-geschichte2001.htm

Looks like Russell discontinued the German version of the Watchtower in July 1892 because of the redundancy of Zech's Die Ernte Sichel (published by Zech's own Sickle Publication Society of Allegheny, Pennsylvania), tho he did wish the best for Zech's publication and recommended it to his German readers (see the 15 July 1892 Watchtower). But the start of Zech's slander campaign against Russell after this date suggests that the split was not amicable. By 1894, Zech had about 600 followers, of which 200 had been subscribers of the German Watchtower. Wrobel claims that Russell did indeed lose the printing plates and the German translation, and had to go through the trouble of getting his books re-translated into German by someone else (Otto A. Koetitz, according to Wrobel).

So I wonder what happened to the Sickle Publication Society? How long did Zech's small following last?

• stev
    stev

The Conspiracy Exposed was very rare. Years ago, I saw an original copy, and had it photocopied at that time. I checked the pdf file and it is the same as the original, so the pdf file is authentic, and not fake. It did not make it into the Watchtower Reprints.

In the last few years, the early writings of the Adventists, Barbour, and Russell have shown up on the internet. But for years they were not readily accessible. The Bible Students were still a small number in the 19th century. In years preceding 1914 they would have the Studies in the Scriptures (Millennial Dawn) and current issues of the Watchtower, but most of them might have never seen what we are able to see now.

It says in the Conspiracy Exposed the Harvest Siftings article came after, but it is not in the PDF file. This would have been the same Harvest Siftings that was published several times in the Watchtower. The Conspiracy Exposed says it was first published in 1890. This makes it an early account, and it should be to the later printings for any changes.

I have quickly read over the PDF file again. As I remember Alan Rogerson in his book on the JWs sides with Russell in this matter.

It is revealing of Russell's finances, he mentions his chain of stores, that he sold them and decided to live off the interest of his investment, and reveals some of his investments, that he had most of the voting shares, and tells how many.

I do remember reading a letter from Conley about these matters. I thought it in the Conspiracy Exposed, but maybe it was in the Watchtower. Are all the pages here?

Although the tone is unfortunate with the labels of "siftings", etc. both parties denouncing each other, on the other hand the actual allegations seem to be petty and not matters of gross wrongdoing.

From his own account, Russell was independently wealthy, and used his time to run a non-profit business, and there seems to be little evidence from this document that Russell was at that time profiting financially from it.

Russell's group was still small, but Russell was ending up with most of the power in it, and I wonder if this is really behind some of these allegations. Russell had money and the power that comes with it, had most of the voting shares, was the President of the Society, the manager, the editor, the head of the Bible House family - no doubt small at this time, Pastor of the Church in Allegheny.

I did not notice any mentions of elders. I don't think that Russell at that time advocated the elders or church officers. Later he did, and I wonder if it might be partly as a result of this controversy.

Russell said there were ones that wanted to find the preceding books to MIllenial Dawn, Russell said that he wasn't aware of any, and then proceeded to mention specific doctrines that no others were currently teaching. Russell is probably accurate here, but there were others that were currently teaching OTHER doctrines, and there were preceding books that were teaching these doctrines that Russell mentions.

Russell seemed to have a tendency sometimes to tell the truth but not the whole truth, but he was not lying either, but left out information that would cause the reader to be mislead. Some of his business practices described here do seem mildly deceptive, although maybe standard practice at that time.

My impression of Russell is that he was genuinely independently wealthy, had accumulated enough money that he no longer had to work for a living, expected his time on earth to be short and decided to devote himself to promote a cause he believed in, and to run it. Russell never gave up on the invisible presence of 1874, and most of his mistakes lead back to that original assumption. His writings show a growth over the years, his early writings are Adventist in tone, but much broader and more appealing later when he addressed a larger public audience. Russell was many-sided and able, had an inquisitive mind even philosophical, and showed some bold creativity in his enterprises as in the PhotoDrama. He had only an 8th grade education, and would have benefited from more formal education. He was given to speculation, and lacked critical judgment, that he might have gained from more education.

Although Russell had many interesting ideas, some of these ideas were not tested by reality but were only speculation, and unfortunately he based his cause and movement on it. He was certain he was right, and his belief in his rightness and his cause clouded his judgment. Russell was a complex man, somewhat enigmatic but an amiable spirit that shows through in his writings.

Ironically if Russell had maintained his chain of stores and developed it into another Sears, he might be more highly regarded than he is now.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Whoa, check this out. I just checked WorldCat to see if any surviving copies of Zech's Die Ernte Sichel still exist in any libraries. And there was one hit. At the Meadville-Lombard Theological School in Illinois, they have several issues of Die Ernte-Sichel: monatliche Zeitschrift zur Berbreitung der Erkenntniss und zur Förderung der Interessen wahren Christenthums (The harvest sickle: A monthly magazine for the diffusion of the knowledge and promotion of the interest of pure Christianity), published from January 1893 to August 1907 by Otto von Zech. Looks like the Meadville-Lombard school only has issues from Vols. 17-19 of the journal, i.e. from 1905-1907. Anyone who is in Illinois and can read German would thus be able to see this tangible material from the first schism of the Bible Student movement. I had generally thought that the 1909 New Covenant schism was the first significant schism (not counting the early schism between Russell and Barbour and Paton that lay at the genesis of his own movement), but this may not have been the case. Zech indeed continued to publish his own journal until 1907, suggesting that he still had a viable readership for some years after the events of 1894.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Leo I have the photocopies in front of me. stev has confirmed their veracity. I will scan them and make the PDF file. I will post it when I am done

Thank you stev for that validation of the file. I think it is always best to prove these files are accurate which I why I prefer to at lease find the scans of the literature. It is far too easy to edit text copies

Lee

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here's some random info about Zech. His full name was Otto Ulrich Karl von Zech, and he was born in December 1845 in Germany. He immigrated to the United States in 1865, became a minister with the German Evangelical Lutheran Church, and ten years later married Maria Mathilde Bert, who was born in June 1858 in Pennsylvania. They had eleven children (three of whom had died as children), including a son named Walter von Zech (born in November 1877), two daughters named Augusta von Zech (born in April 1879) and Virginia Bertha Ella von Zech (born on 14 April 1881), and more children named George Henrich von Zech (born in 10 October 1883, who died in infancy), Otto Wilhelm von Zech (born on 26 January 1885), Paul Louis von Zech (born on 10 October 1887) Mark Von Zech (born in 18 January 1891), Helen Katharine von Zech (born on 24 March 1896, who died as a child), and Bert Felix von Zech (born in 10 May 1897). Walter and Augusta were born in France, Virginia was born in Benwood, WV, and the rest were born in Allegheny, PA, so apparently Otto and Maria still traveled Europe and the U.S. after getting married, before settling down in Allegheny (where Otto Sr. became a Bible Student in 1885), although in 1900 they were living in Leigh, Prince Edward, Virginia. Walter and Otto Jr. worked with his father in the publishing house, Paul became an accountant for the U. S. Navy, Mark became a machinist in an iron foundary, whereas Augusta became a school teacher. Of the children, Paul lived until June 1978.

Interestingly in 1907, the year that Otto Sr. discontinued his Die Ernte-Sichel, he was travelling aboard the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria in December, leaving Hamburg, Germany to return to the United States, so apparently he still traveled in his old age.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Lady Lee asked me to post this link. It's another PDF edition of the entire 1894 magazine issue and is also searchable:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=8f9fa5652e46a2b6ac6abc59a5c84a2a

• Lady Lee

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit