What kind of guitar music, player do you like?

by Guest with Questions 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    Funny, but I'm a guitarist and Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen are among the most universally hated guitarists among my guitar playing friends. I can appreciate their skill, but they are sort of caricatures of that over-blown, speed metal, let me rip through a million notes style. There are some funny YouTube take offs on them.

I hear you, I was like that for a long time. I don't play like that and I usually play folk style stuff and I mostly listen to punk music, I definetly wish I could play that fast though, I like Satriani's version of the chase.

• prophecor
    prophecor

David Lee Roth for starters. He was such an inseperable part of Van Halen. Prince will always be a force to reckon with. Much of his music is absolutely timeless, as for the other, well, I guess you could say, his music was ahead of it's time. Bootsy Collins, The Brothers Johnson, David Gilmour of Floyd Fame, Stevie Ray Vaughn, the toughest Blues Man I've ever had the benefit of listening to. Add a little Smooth Jazz from Benson and Ritenour. Premier Bassist? Stanley Clarke and Studio Enforcer, Anthony Jackson. They are both exceptional in thier field and are able to call all shots and write thier own ticket.

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

Hi purps: I went to your thread and found this link for any Jeff Beck fans. When I have time I'll check some unknows on your list.(unknown to me anyway)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHaRAfxLd7g

Hi Brother apostate: think we have the same taste in music. Loved the Andy McKee link.(hope I spelled his name right)

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Also, most anything by William Ackerman - great stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKAULYrBHMc

BA

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Yeah,

purp's thread had a lot of goodies onit too-

Jeff Beck, Rush (cant remember guitarist name now), Clapton, Hendiix ,etc!

BA

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Funny, but I'm a guitarist and Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen are among the most universally hated guitarists among my guitar playing friends.

I'm no fan of Yngwie, but I'm surprised that they would hate Satriani so much. I think he plays with tons of feeling. Yes he can play very fast, but it's always done in a way to further the song, not just "check me out". He's really not like that at all.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Oh, and of course:

Stone Temple Pilots (Scott Whelan)- "Unplugged" versions

Nirvana- "Unplugged" versions

Alice in Chains (Jerry Cantrell)- "Unplugged" versions

BA

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

My very favorite today, this depends on mood, but he has a good melodic body of work to my taste, is Joe Satriani, then Jeff Beck, Steve Via, Eric, Johnson, Frank Zappa, Santana is very good. I enjoy Willie Nelson also. Randy California from the 60's band Spirit. Jerry Garcia. David Gilmore, George Harrison. Buck Dharma.

• garybuss
    garybuss

For 6 string: Tom Tomlinson, Luther Perkins, Hank Snow

For steel: Pete Kirby, Roy Wiggins, Don Helms

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Steve Morse is another favorite of mine. If you ever get a chance, check out his song "General Lee" - the most fun you'll ever have listening to a guitarist, I guarantee!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit