Free Knocking Preview on Thursday in Pittsburgh, PA

by DazedAndConfused 13 Replies latest jw friends

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07117/781358-237.stm

PBS show screening

Point Park University will screen the upcoming PBS "Independent Lens" documentary, "Knocking," at 7 p.m. Thursday in Room 212 of the University Center, 414 Wood St., Downtown.

"Knocking" follows two families who are Jehovah's Witnesses and explores the religion's tenets. The film's director, Joel Engardio, will attend and discuss the film after the free, open-to-the-public screening.

Anyone in Pittsburgh that wants to go view and discuss this with the director? It could be an interesting opportunity to anti-witness.

*edited to correct spelling*

• DazedAndConfused
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Please BTTT again later monday morning.

Any Pittsburg area DF'ed or otherwise free to express their opinions would be
    helpful to this. You could sour the point they are trying to make with the
    audience if you asked the right questions.

"Why didn't you address.....?"
    "How can you say........?"

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

OK OTWO, I have no idea how to present my case to others. Can you present important things in this thread or at least give your expert opinion in another "intelligent" thread? Apparently I don't have the finesse it takes to deal with most people.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

JW's did a fantastic job at the KNOCKING forum. So fantastic at exposing the
    truth about WTS that KNOCKING producers shut down the discussion. When I
    joined the Witnesses, I was convinced that there was no organized resistance to
    what they said. I was wrong, but that organization was very loose. NOW- it seems
    to be shaping nicely.

A public meeting with a free viewing. That could be a great opportunity for supporters
    of SilentLambs or those that lost people to the blood issue. It's difficult for some to
    speak out in public, but I saw videos of Memorial protests this year. It wouldn't take
    as much effort as that. Just 3 or 4 people at a free viewing and discussion could
    really change the tone.

Imagine these questions being asked:
    "Your film shows JW's going door-to-door. What does their organization do to
    protect the public from possible pedophiles in their work using this venue to find
    new prey?"

"The film highlights one man's surgury. Don't you think the film could have examined
    the beliefs on blood by offering expert opinions on their position? I have quotes from
    experts."

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Who lives in/nearby Pittburgh, and can make it a point to go?

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

bttt

Thanks for the alert... but how many live in the Pittsburgh area and can attend on a weeknight?

Maybe you're underestimating the distances involved... the U.S. is HUGE. I live in a state directly bordering Pennsy, yet Pittsburgh is a 6-hour drive for me. I think Danny is in Maine, about a 14-hour trip by car.

Most of us would have to book a round trip airplane flight and miss two days of work, for, what? Maybe 5 minutes of facetime with the director?

I'm glad you re-posted this, and am interested in any comments from those who can make the effort to attend.

~Sue

• Quandary
    Quandary

From the Knocking.org website it lists the following info for the Chicago viewing:

Wednesday, May 2nd 7:00pm

Facets Cinematheque 1517 W Fullerton Ave.

For more info contact: [email protected]

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

http://www.itvs.org/outreach/events/

(maybe someone can make it clickable?)

"ITVS Community produces more than 250 Community Cinema screenings and other outreach events each year. Our events and programming are designed to extend the impact of select Independent Lens programs beyond their broadcast on PBS. We currently produce free monthly screening events in almost 30 markets nationwide."

There's a pull-down menu to view screenings by state.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I was so concerned about the "Knocking" documentary when I first learned of it,,I bought the DVD,,and still have mixed thoughts/emotions. My husband (never a JW) said he would request me to have a glass of wine before I watched because he was afraid I'd really get "****" off. It is definitely pro-JW. But I have decided since most people don't know anything about JWs, some exposure/awareness would good through the "Knocking" film. However, it will be up to us to see how we can get the "full" story out!! Like another followup on "Knocking their Members Around!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit