IS IT WRONG TO SAY SOMEONE ACTS WHITE?

by nvrgnbk 55 Replies latest jw friends

• horrible life
    horrible life

Richie, they spelled Roach wrong.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

HAHA HL.

I break all the stereotypes though... I don't smoke.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Our family (both my husband and I)were born and raised in Chicago...lots of horrible racial problems when I was growing up. Riots in our High Schools etc. I was beat up in a lone hall way with heavy duty rings turned in against the hand and beat upside the head as a bunch of tough black girls chased me down a high school hallway during school hours. No one came to my rescue, not my parents, not the school administration.

These kids were bussed in from the absolute worst of the southwest part of Chicago called "Robbins"

I got an older boyfriend, about 25 at the time with a Big Harley, and he would pick me up with all his biker friends....no one messed with me after that accept the JWs.

How sad.....I secretly was seeing a 25 year old to protect me at age 16.....my senior year.

Fast forward.......

My Husband and I moved to Florida and my sons were called "Florida Crackers" in High School which pissed them off to no end. We had never heard the term before moving here.

Both sons were raised to believe every race is the same as the next. None being better than the other. My youngest son is especially vigilant about no bad talk, language or jokes about any race. He absolutely gets furious when he hears derogatory comments about any race.

Acting white? what is that? Acting black? what is that?

Acting human.....I think we can all relate.

r.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

There is no way to say someone "acts white" and for it to be a compliment as long as one is refering to race.

I am african-american. I and my immediate family are light-skinned. This was added into the mix when my school-aged peers told me I was "acting white." I did not "talk black" and (my greatest offense) did well in school and loved learning. For this, I was accused of "acting white". I also had "good hair" (not quite as "nappy" as many people's chemically untreated hair), which meant to my peers that I wasn't really black and must be ignorant of my heritage (and any unshady goings-on in my family). Even when I went to college, the "accusation" wouldn't die. I called my mother at work one day and her co-worker picked-up. My mother later told me that when the woman handed her the phone, she asked my mother if I went to a white college. Apparently, my black parents were incapable of teaching me proper grammar and enunciation, so I must be going to a white college.

The phrase is often used by peers to marginalize minority students who are doing well academically and who do not want to get involved in the less responsible activities engaged in by many youths. It is meant to discourage such behavior and, in my case, was used to attempt to re/assimilate individuals into whatever has currently been termed "black culture" and the "proper/popular" attitude for the race at the moment.

A special was done on television about this phenomenon a few years ago. A number of minority students described the pain and discouragement they dealt with from peers who "accused" them of being "white". One student had a grandmother who didn't want him 'up in her house talkin' all white.' He had to resort to slang and mispronunciations to be acceptable to her when he went to visit.

• ninja
    ninja

There is no racism round my way...its religious bigotry that reigns..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86XNiQttRzs&mode=related&search=

• G Money
    G Money

It is a way to force them to be ghetto. What is wrong with a lack person dressing in clothes that fit and speaking properly?? What is wrong with a hispanic person to not dress gangster and not wear clothes that are too large or be a raider nation cholo? The only people that feel threatened are the lower classes that want to keep others down. The US is one country where the blacks and hispanics dress different than the general population, also they are separated by educatino as to how they dress. In Colombia, Cuba, Mexico, Spain, Venezuela, Peru and other places I´ve been you´d be hard pressed to tell one social group from the rest by how they dress. In the US one must wear baggy clothes and dress like a gangster or they are selling out to whitey. That is crap. If you dress gangster than you are a loser and if you get shot by accident by gang bangers then its your fault. Play with fire and get burned. I wear clothes that fit in both countires of residence. I am educated and don´t support the ghetto subcluture or gangster way. My friends don´t either. Many people of colour act white which means act normal and don´t dress to attract attention to themselves and say, hey, I´m a delinquent thug.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit