WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS COULD OBJECT TO THIS.................JWS THATS WHO

by vitty 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

'Morning Has Broken' is a religious hymm? Geeze, I just learned something new! Seriously though, it sounds like your Dub relatives are the type that go out 'looking for persecution'. My family has attended Catholic funerals and weddings (of non-family members I might add). Those Witnesses who absolutely refuse to enter 'through Christendom's doors' are the pious, self-righteous idiots that Paul described as "super-fine Christians". In other words---they worry so much over stupid things, that they miss the meaning of Christianity altogether.

To be honest I dont know why they go to these events.............they dont take part and they leave everyone annoyed. They really arent wanted there but they are family and the non JW family don't want to cause a fuss, so they just get away with whatever they want to say and do. They make really unfeeling, uncaring comments.

Having experienced this first hand from Witnesses, my personal opinion is to tell them beforehand that if they can't respect someone else's beliefs, then don't bother showing up at all. After the horrific comments that were made to my DA'd brother by the Presiding Overseer when our other brother was killed, I will never again tolerate any smug, superior Witnesses at any family funeral. When my parents die, I will tell the elders beforehand that anyone who can't show my brother respect by saying a few kind words to him, need not bother showing up.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Vitty,

My condolences and sympathy on your losing your aunt. As already so well stated, who could possibly object? Pious and look-at-me-I'm-taking-a-stand-for-Jehovah! Witnesses. There were some I used to admire when they told me how they stood up for the "truth" on this or that occasion.
    Now, quite coincidently, I'm hearing the other side of the story from those "worldly" ones who were offended by the narrow-minded and unfeeling behavior of the "soldier of Jehovah." That JW individual who thinks that his every waking moment is engaged in taking a stand for the "truth" has an inflated view of his own importance in the spiritual scheme of things. He usually tosses off the offended non-Witness' upset in a cavalier fashion. That is, if he even notices.
    On many occasions I have been asked to speak at non-Witness funerals and have been either praised or condemned by the dubs. So be it. Other posters have said that a funeral is no time to take issue on certain matters; it's in extremely poor taste and as callous as one can get. Leave it to some of our former brothers and sisters to hurt others needlessly and make fools of themselves and their god.

CoCo

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    As sung by Cat Stevens

lyrics by Eleanor Farjeon

Morning has broken, like the first morning Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird Praise for the singing, praise for the morning Praise for the springing fresh from the word Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven Like the first dewfall, on the first grass Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden Sprung in completeness where his feet pass Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning Born of the one light, Eden saw play Praise with elation, praise every morning God's recreation of the new day
    These lyrics sounds pretty bad to me. Notice that the word "Praise" is repeated multiple times. That can't be good
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    "Morning Has Broken" was an obscure Christianhymn that became widely known when Cat Stevens included it on his 1971 best-selling album Teaser and the Firecat. It became a signature song for Stevens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_Has_Broken

• Gopher
    Gopher

Condolences on the loss of your aunt.

I think it's better that these JW's don't sing this song. It's too beautiful to be appreciated by some of them.

BTW, I played this song on the piano quite a bit - even at JW gatherings back in the day, and nobody objected.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I wonder how many 'worldly songs' they sing along too.

The real sad thing is that none of them can actually tell you why they actually feel that way. They just 'know' that is seems wrong, but that is all they can say.

I would ask them 'just what in the lyrics to they disagree with?

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Im soooo sorry at your loss honey. When people act like jerks in a circumstance that is already sad and stressful they just make THEMSELVES look bad. And some day, hopefully like we did, they will see what they have done and be pained by having done it.

hugs to you and your family

Loves

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

So sorry to hear about your aunt passing, vitty - hugs to you.

I had a similar situation when my non JW uncle died. We went to his funeral - at a Pentacostal church (couldn't believe my JW mother and sister even walked in the doors!).

My mom and sister were upset with me because I sung along to the hymms. I didn't care! Let them think what they wanted.

That was the first non JW funeral I had been to - what a difference - it was truly a celebration of my uncles life.

Go and sing as loud as you want to - celebrate your aunts life!

BB

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

My condolences

BA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit