this week's bible reading leviticus chap 19 - 21 - my opening remarks

by user100 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man
    "Another comment was.. homosexuality is so bad that the host asshole would give up his daughter rather than having some dude get raped"

Holy shit! Did we attend the same congregation? Are you in the Caribbean by any chance?

• Island Man
    Island Man

Is it just me, or does that bible account seem eerily similar to the account of the men surrounding Lot's house wanting to rape the angels? It has been said by one bible expert that this story is actually a bit of false propaganda designed to paint the people in that area as being as vile as the Sodomites, thus the story was deliberately written to mimic the account with Lot.

It has also been said that the story of Lot's daughters drunking him and raping him is also a bit of propaganda designed to tarnish the image of the Moabites and the Ammonites - the nations supposedly born out of the incestuous relations mentioned in the account. This seems to make sense as such an account provides no real spiritual benefit at all. I can think of no reason why such sordid details of how the Moabites and Ammonites came into being is of any spiritual benefit. It only makes sense to share such info if the motive is the tarnish the image of those nations.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I don't mean to be picky island man...... but, is it possible for a woman or in Lot's case two women

to "rape" a drunk man?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

This is some fatally flawed logic:

Sometimes Jehovah tests to see how far you will persevere in begging him to get things done.

22,000 die the first time + 18,000 die the second time. All of those were just being "tested" by jehovah? After they died, how much further could that 40,000 "persevere in begging him to get things done?" Did these dead men pass or fail jehovah's "test"? And I thought jehovah didn't test people with evil, right? Or is seeing 40,000 dead a good test?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    The reality I believe like Island man, is the bible is guilty of plagiarizing not only other sources but even itself at times. These stories are no more real than Caleb and Sophia, but they were produced if you will to prove a moral point or political cause. Esther is the retelling of a completely pagan story and if you research it it's not even a question! So they took some liberties here in borrowing a similar story.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

How did I ever get sucked in to believing this crap .

smiddy

• Island Man
    Island Man
    "I don't mean to be picky island man...... but, is it possible for a woman or in Lot's case two women
    to "rape" a drunk man?"

You're not being picky at all. I don't think it's possible. That's one of the reasons why I don't believe the story is true but is just a piece of false propaganda devised by the writer(s) of Genesis to tarnish the image of the Moabites and the Ammonites. How do you make the Ammonites and Moabites inherently degenerate when they're the descendants of righteous Lot, without tarnishing Righteous Lot; and how do you do it in a way that cannot be disproved? Simple: You say these nations were the product of an incestuous relationship between Lot and his daughters - but righteous Lot is not to be blames because he was drugged and raped by his daughters. And because these incestuous relations happened in the isolated mountains away from anyones sight, no one can come forward and disprove the writer's claims. See how that works?

• Zoos
    Zoos

Another comment was.. homosexuality is so bad that the host asshole would give up his daughter rather than having some dude get raped.

And the little gay boy or lesbian youth sitting quietly in the auditorium is asking, "Why am I such an abomination, God? Why won't you answer my prayers and change me? What did I do to offend you?"

Years later that young adult will have decided God's mind is made up, whatever the reason, so what's the point of trying... or in some cases, continuing.

Bravo, religion!

• user100
    user100

so my point is.. the GB encourages people to read the bible and meditate on it.. but you are forced to draw the same conclusion the GB made. or you are forced to interpret the verses the way the GB/FDS interprets them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit