WOL's discussion of NGO and UN

by outcast 19 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Amazing
    Amazing

The Society has had a long standing policy of not compromising or even have the appearance of compromising. At the rank and file level, a JW who cuts hair cannot work on a military base, even though hje is not active in the miliotary, his act of serving the men by cutting their hair was seen as a serious compromise, enough to disfellowship. Likewise this was true with even alternative service until recently.

JWs not only cannot have birthday celebrations, but must not participate in office parties, etc. They can be disfellowshipped for doing these minor acts.

The Society has painted the UN as THE image of the WILD BEAST which is Devil inspired according to them. They do not, therefore, need to be members of the UN in support its alleged Devil Inspired principles and man-made solutions that only Jehovah's Kingdom can trule solve.

Watch Tower membership in the UN as an NGO is yet another example of its baltant hypocrisy, clearly making them a false religion.

Personally, I have no problem with the UN. But, it a religion takes such a stand as the Watch Tower Society, then they need to live by their beliefs, and not a double standard. - Amazing

• Stealth
    Stealth
    After all, the idea of opposing political parties are incorported right into the governmental structures of most democratic systems that i am aware of. So the mere fact of being associated or registered in and of itself is not an issue.

I am sure the thousands of brothers and sisters who were slautered, raped and tourtured in Malawee will be glad to hear that.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW
    The UN charter states that the UN has the following four aims:
    * to maintain international peace and security
    * to develop friendly relations among nations
    * to cooperate in solving international problems and in promoting respect for human rights
    * to be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations
    In principle, you no doubt agree with each of these 4 goals. The society does as well, particularly the third, though obviously disagreeing with methods and ultimate solutions. They are well within their right to oppose methods and ultimate goals while stating that they agree with the principles.

Reminds me of the "Declaration of Facts" of 1933:

A careful examination of our books and literature will disclose the fact
    that the very high ideals held and promulgated by the present national
    government are set forth in and endorsed and strongly emphasized in our
    publications, and show that Jehovah God will see to it that these high ideals in
    due time will be attained by all persons who love righteousness and who obey the
    Most High. Instead, therefore, of our literature and our work's being a menace
    to the principles of the present government we are the strongest supporters of
    such high ideals. For this reason Satan, the enemy of all men who desire righteousness, has sought to misrepresent our work and prevent us from carrying
    it on in this land.

German JW

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

You guys are being a total ass

• joelbear
    joelbear

Cool,

Well maybe next the society will offer its support to GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) whose goal is to eliminate discrimination, clearly a principle the Watchtower Society can agree with while not agreeing with the overall goal of the organization.

Same would be true of the Human Rights Campaign Fund (gay lobbying group).

They can also support the Democratic Party who support equal rights for all as a principle and the Republican party since it is for less government and also is anti-abortion, clearly a principle the Watchtower Society can agree with.

Also, I'm sure many of the principles of the Catholic League, The Women's League of voters, etc, etc, etc. are agreeable to them.

Yeah, that argument makes sense.

Joel

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

Hi outcast,

This is so typical of JWs. Their capacity for being able to justify almost anything is truly outstanding, IMO.

Any objective outsider can see the blatantly obvious hypocrisy displayed by those who direct the policies of the WT.
    The UN is quite clear about what it requires of NGOs per the agreement that participants enter into. - this has been covered quite adequately on other threads

Suffice it to say that NGOs agree to further the interests of the UN. Period. The use of semantics in the posts on WOL regarding WT-UN relationship is quite a display of the JW mindset.
    We are not being hypocritical because we agree with some of the principles as stated by the UN. We may be in disagreement over the methods the UN uses to advance their principles...

What a load...
    The HYPOCRISY results from the existence of the relationship.
    The WT has consistantly condemned the UN from it's inception as the League Of Nations for over a quarter century.
    The mere existence of an association with what they label as the "disgusting" thing - and other adjectives - in of itself constitutes hypocrisy. [i]Some JWs will argue that having the status of NGO helps them further the "Kingdom work". How lame...
    They are still in an association with the "beast". Bottom line.

Jrig

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    So the mere fact of being associated or registered in and of itself is not an issue.

Tell that to a Malawian brother or sister who saw their father hacked to death, or their mother or sister raped and then killed by having a gun shoved up her vagina. They couldn't buy the party card of a one party system. Not allowed. Wouldn't be spiritually prudent.

Remember those stories? I do. I'll never forget.

Do you hear me Torontonian on WOL? What I'm trying to point out is that you are worthless scum for not instantly calling the comparison to mind.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I know that for me, of all the things I was disturbed about in Franz's Crisis of Conscience, the one that disturbed me most was the Malawi vs Mexico issue.

Joel

• Moxy
    Moxy

locked, locked and locked.

• Moxy
    Moxy

hey, they deleted it completely now. what gives?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit