Is this normal?

by FourMs 19 Replies latest jw friends

• FourMs
    FourMs

After I came to terms with my decision to leave the org, I suddenly didn’t want to anything to do with god. It’s been several months and I still don’t want to hear people talk about whether there is a god or not. Or when people say that they “thank god” for this and that. It makes me cringe.

Is that normal to abandon what I have been taught all my life? It’s harped on so much to “trust in god” and blah blah blah when you're in the witnesses. You know the whole deal with that. So why is it that I just don’t want to hear anything about it?

Also, why is it that my decision was so final? I had been thinking about it for probably 6 months as to what I should do. When I finally made up my mind that I was just going to leave, I immediately threw everything out that had to do with the witnesses. Like I’ve said in other posts, I am not angry or bitter, I had a great upbringing and would not have met my husband if we both were not witnesses at the time.

I just wondered if anyone else went through this.

Thanks for taking the time to read…

FourMs

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I have been out many years, and still do this!!

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Youve had enough on the subject and your burned out. Completely understandable considering the JW's constant urging to do more more more.

You might change your mind after a while and realize that god is important in your life.

Or you might just turn into an evil agnostic

• journey-on
    journey-on

FourMs

As JWs, we are so indoctrinated to associate God and spirituality with the organization that at first it's difficult to separate them. For a long time after leaving, I couldn't pray. I still had twinges of guilt and uncertainty. But over time, as I opened myself up to different ways of looking at life and spiritual philosophies, I began to find my way. Now I pray, but it's different than the way I prayed as a Witness. I actually feel his hearing ear now and if I listen with my heart, I can "hear" his voice in my life. It's awesome when this finally happens. You just have to stay open to it and allow Time to heal the horrible effects the WTS had on your spirit.

• DJK
    DJK

I didn't want anything to do with God before I left the borg and still don't, that was 33 years ago.

• new boy
    new boy

Greetings Friend

I wouldn't through the "baby" out with the bath water. You problem might not be with God........but the Jehovah's Witnesses concept of god......a jealious mean hateful "Guy" who will soon be killing 6 billion people...........who knows maybe he/she is something different.

A Great book that talks about a different type of God is "Conversations with God" by Neale Walsh

There is a big difference between religions and spirituality.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I have been out for almost 30 years, and I found myself calling myself an athiest very quickly, and i still feel comfortable with it.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

For a long time, I preferred to avoid anything to do with god, jesus, or churches. I still don't like going to churches for weddings or baptisms. I always feel awkward and uncomfortable.

I guess for some ex-jws like you and me, it's pretty normal. Now, eleven years after I left, I enjoy a friendly religious debate. Before, I couldn't stand to touch the subject. When you're ready to figure out what to do with god, jesus, and the bible, you'll know. Until then, just focus on enjoying your newly-found free time!

• TheCoolerKing
    TheCoolerKing

I pretty much felt the same way after I left "The Org" too. Wanted nothing to do with God, religion or even people in general. But at the same time I was relieved too. It felt like a big weight was lifted off my shoulders. I no longer had all the pressures of trying to be a witness. And trying to maintain that "we are better than everybody else" mentality.

At this point in my life I'm still struggling with the "does God exist?" question. It may change for me in the future, but for right now I guess I'm one of those "evil" agnostics!

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I think it is normal, cause the same thing happened to me. One day I was a loyal witness going to all the meetings, ministry answering etc, the next i'd cut it off completely. I've had similar feelings regarding god, its put me off to think all religions use him to get people to do things the way they want, a form of control as I see it. I see no proof either way now, and therefore can't trust the words of any man - whether that be bible writers or modern day religious leaders.

CS 101

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit