The disturbing thing about ALL religions

by Leander 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

Over the past couple of years I've been really questioning myself about why I have doubts about the WTS and even the bible.

Even though I've been raised as JW all of my life I've often felt that I was'nt really a religious person. Unlike some of the people around me I just could'nt (and still can't) work up any excitement about the bible.

So after much thought I've come to the conclusion that the disturbing thing about all religions is that fear is emphasized more so than love. Some might argue and say that the bible teaches just the opposite, some will no doubt think about the scripture "God loved the world so much that he sent his only begotten son". I can't argue with the fact that sending Jesus to die for our sins is a loving action but I also can't dispute the fact that much of the bible is focused on individuals and nations who suffered because they wanted to choose for themselves how they wanted to live their lives.

All through-out the bible there is a repeating thread or message which is basically "you do things my way or you die". There are no other alternatives or options, either you do things this way or else you'll lose your life. Because of this it annoys me when I hear people say that humans are all free moral agents, we have the ability to choose how we live.

Another thing that really bothers me is that we're commanded to do one thing but we're placed in a situation where we're at a disadvantage.

To illustrate we're commanded in the bible to abstain from fornication. But any honest person will tell you that sexual desire is one of the strongest desires that an individual experiences. To leave those desires unfulfilled is a frustrating ordeal. To make it even worse we're imperfect and if that was'nt enough Satan and his demons are constantly tempting us to do wrong. Some people will say thats what marriage is for to allow us to properly satisfy sexual urges without breaking bibical commandments. But if you think about it marriage should'nt be a vehicle just to have sex. Marriage should be about love and companionship. But unfortunately we know this is'nt always the case so as a result there are likely thousands and thousands of people who are unhappy because they got married for the wrong reasons all in the name of trying to follow bible principles.

So in my conclusion it seems to me that religion is nothing more than a way to frustrate people. If people are really meant to serve God and have a chance at being happy spiritual persons why not give everyone a fair chance. Instead of bringing imperfect people into a corrupt world dominated by demonic influences why not allow everyone to have a clean start without the misery we currently have to deal with.

• logical
    logical

Religion is destructive. Revelation 13 shows us just how much so.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Leander,
    An interesting post. I think a hunger to make sense of it all, to seek meaning to our existence, is innate. The mistake we make is turning to organized religion to scratch that itch. Life does seem unfulfilling without a spiritual dimension, but our biggest miscalculation is to equate spirituality with piety, or if you prefer, religion.

• Leander
    Leander

I read something disturbing in this Sunday's past Watchtower. I forget the exact paragraph but there was some information that was saying that God will bring about an end to this wicked system not to ease human suffering but to vindicate his name.

This really bothers me, basically we are taught to view God as our father because we are his children. So in that sense if your children were in mortal danger would you rescue them so that they might live and not suffer or would you rescue them so that your name will be honored.

I'm not trying to judge God (not intentionally anway) but how can we feel close to Him and truly love God if our lives don't mean anything to him. The reason so much human suffering is taking place right now supposedly is because God is allowing time to pass to see who has the right to rule God or man. So for thousands and thousands of years innocent people must suffer because of an issue between God and Satan. Maybe its because of my imperfect mindstate but I can't understand why a benevolent God would allow such a thing to take place.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Leander,

Your thinking is still jaded by WTS theology. God's purpose is NOT to VINDICATE his name. He did that with the death and resurrection of Jesus. It is however about choices. Choice is why evil exists. We can choose that which is good for us, or that which we desire that is NOT good for us.
    There's a flaw to your premise that this is fear based. Just because we desire something doesn't mean it's good for us. Our choices are have consequences. God doesn't punish us for our bad choices, rather he lets us suffer the consequences.

Sex is a good and wonderful gift from God, yet abusing that gift has consequences. Overeating has consequences, smoking has consequences. Playing in traffic has consequences. God doesn't want to limit our enjoyment of sex, rather he wants it fully enjoyed in the fullest possible sense. Let me tell you, having at one time been big into fornication, then adultery, sex within and limited to married life is by far the most fulfilling. Not only that but my past actions have detracted from the enjoyment I could have had in sex had I discovered it with my wife.

Are you a parent? Do you punish your children for bad choices? WHY do you try to make them behave? Do you use FEAR to try to make them behave? Is your punishment based in LOVE? How much more so God, whose love is perfect.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• bboyneko
    bboyneko
    Choice is why evil exists. We can choose that which is good for us, or that which we desire that is NOT good for us.
    There's a flaw to your premise that this is fear based. Just because we desire something doesn't mean it's good for us. Our choices are have consequences. God doesn't punish us for our bad choices, rather he lets us suffer the consequences.

Ok, now what about being gay? The bible clearly condemns homosexuality (only in the old testament, which bizarelly allows incest) Noone is hurt by consesual relations. There is no 'crime' yet god would kill you for it. Beleive in jesus or die...forever..not even die really..stay alive forver but be tortured for eternity...your example of children is a good one. If your child commits a wrong, does he need to shed blood to earn your forgiveness? Do you kill him? torture him? God does all these things to his 'children' If your son commits a wrong, then later grows up and has kids of hi own, do you also punish his children for his crime? God loves doing this, he did it to us after adam. All of adams children got punished for what HE did. Thats not justice or love.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Dan, your thinking too, seems to be Jaded by the WTS theology.
    How exactly have all God's children been PUNISHED for the sin of Adam? True, we all suffer the consequence of it, but that is different from punishment. If I start out life with a grand fortune and wonderful palace that could support my extended family for generations, and then squander away all the money, property, etc my children, and their children etc, will be born into poverty and have to build huts for themselves to live in. In doing so, because of my wastefulness, they are exposed to sickness and disease that they would not have known before. That isn't punishment, it's consequence.
    The bible Old and New Testament condemn homosexual ACTS not homosexuals. No one is hurt by consensual relations? I question that. For sure it doesn't fit in to what God had designed.
    Does God punish for eternity? NO! Hell is not torture, it's God honoring our choice. If we in this world choose to be without God, then He will eternally honor that choice. Hell is the absence of God, the inability to LOVE as all true love comes from God, the handing over of ourselves to our own selfishness. THAT is what hell is.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• ballistic
    ballistic

The whole religion thing just makes me so angry. It's obvious the world is split by religion, just look at what is happening in the world now.
    If there is a God sanctioning these rifts in humankind then that God is sick.
    If God split the languages and religions at the tower of Babel, then it's God's fault.
    They say religion is the opium of the people, and I would say that guilt and fear are the life blood of religion, and it makes me even more angry that people like the WB&TS can still brainwash millions of people into thinking they are different (because they don't do this or that) when in fact they are one of the most divisive and controlling religions out.

• siegswife
    siegswife

Has anyone ever wondered if this 'destruction' of the earth doesn't really mean the 'destruction' of the spirit of the world? Couldn't the 'fire' that will devour the earth really be the Spirit of God overtaking any force that is in opposition to Him? Isn't it possible that the 'destruction' is actually 'salvation' taking COMPLETE control of the earth?

• JanH
    JanH

Yeru,

How exactly have all God's children been PUNISHED for the sin of Adam? True, we all suffer the consequence of it, but that is different from punishment.

There is a flaw in that argument. Where does this consequence come from? Either that "consequence" came from somewhere outside God's control (where), or God created that consequence. It makes no difference whether God directly punished Adam's descendents for his sins, or God somehow boobytrapped his creation to make this a "natural" consequence of "sin". The problem with postulating a super-being like God, is that you can't excuse God from the consequences of his rules. If God made the universe, all the rules of the game were created by him. He is thus morally responsible for both the game and its rules.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit